OT: Get Kelp

Kelp may be all that is available (and it is going fast) for iodine supplements to protect against radioactive iodine, which is supposed to arrive here on the West Coast from Japan today. Most pharmacies here are sold out of potassium iodide.

The most serious effects of radiation are to children, whose tissues are still developing. Us geezers will die from something else, before we can get cancer from the fall out.

Information and logic would seem to counsel us that the fall-out from Japan will be light, but the drama in Fukushima isn't over yet. A larger explosions, would send greater amounts of radiation.

Reply to
Billy

next is the referring page for the above, as I don't know if the above link is a static link for only that time, or realtime

My german is not so... 'tisn't hard to figure out by clikking through.

Also

...this site is great, imo, another of the wonders of the intertubes and citizen activism (read the message)...some monitors already in locations that just might interest you, old feller.

Reply to
Charlie

Meant to add... google "potassium iodide saturated solution radiation dosage drops" or such ....DIY for little cost.

Lugol's solution or DIY using crystaline KI, available from your favorite aquarium supply house or chemical distributor.

Window of effectiveness is small and critical and remember that KI is not effective against the other forms of long-lived radioactive isotopes....cesium, etc.

Looks like I am going to have to stock up on my Tillamook cheddars really soon....california, and west coast cow juice may begin to glow in the near future.

Reply to
Charlie

Yeah? I should check it out. At my age, though, I'm not to worried about cancer that I'll contract today.

Yeah, but you'll be able to read by the glow of a glass of pure California cows milk. Think of the savings. One glass of milk should let you read at night for the next 150 years, at least ;O)

Reply to
Billy

It's good to see you up, and about :o)

Reply to
Billy

Goodly, and timely little piece of research there. Thank you.

Probably nothing for most Americans or Canadians to worry about, but some where, someone is going to pay, especially among those working on stabilizing the Fukushima power plant, now.

Like your sig: "The function of revolutions is to destroy the illusions that created them." ~~ Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Reply to
Billy

'twas gettin' a bit ripe under that filthy old log... took a damned EQ and tsunami to flush me out...

Some may dispute your calling this a "good" thing ;-)

Reply to
Charlie

I'm hesitant to respond, to avoid the sadness of your departure, but what the hell, good to see you again:O) That's a Monaco font isn't it? Looks good on ya.

This guy sent me some pictures of 3 rain gutters attached to the wall of a house, one above the other.

----------

----------

----------

If I had decent sun, I'd try it. It would be great to pick your salad fresh. Seems like a good idea though, for people with sun. The house would also reflect warmth for the plants.

"Plant carrots in January and you'll never have to eat carrots." - Anon

--------

Reply to
Billy

Sorry David. I don't know what I was thinking. It should have said. "Plant carrots in winter and you'll never have to eat carrots."

I didn't mean to go all hemisphilic on you. I have a little more class than that ;o)

Anyway, as you were, and so on and so forth.

How was the weather for you, this year? I know it was something horrible in Queensland, but how was it for you, and how's the harvest this year?

-----

"All gardeners know better than other gardeners." - Chinese

(No, I don't have anything made in the USA. Oh, OK, OK)

"A weed is but an unloved flower." - Ella Wilcox

Take a weed home tonight.

-----

Reply to
Billy

I see that more monitors are coming online... damn good piece of work by Tim. Europe has been added, though nothing showing from there yet.

If ya don't trust the TPTB, do it yerself!

Reply to
Charlie