Something I can grow, besides weeds:
https://ibb.co/n7QHNbK
-T
On 6/20/2019 7:11 PM, T wrote:

  Dammit , I keep trying but hollyhocks just won't sprout for me ! We do have a succession of bulb flowers , starting with daffodils in early spring , and finishing off -right about now - with the day lilies . I keep trying to get stuff that blooms later into the summer for the bees and hummingbirds , finally this year have had moderate success with some perennial shrubs/bushes .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 6/20/19 5:36 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

! We

A tip, they need sunlight to germinate. And they love transitions. The plastic bordering between my decorative rocks is a favorite place. I may have dumped 500 seeds in a little 3' round flower stop in my front zero scape. They only grew at the boarders. Quail probably got most of them.
I love the classic five pedal dicot flower. I dislike the bazillion pedal hybridized flowers some sell. They look like carnations to me.
Once you get them going, they will spread on their own. I have to pull half of them out of my front yard this years as they are too many to cut down at the end of the year and my trash can can old fit so much. I still have about fifteen to manage.
My front yard sure does look pretty when they are in bloom. The neighbors stop by and look at it. I have got several nice remarks.
On 6/20/2019 7:46 PM, T wrote:

  I could care less about the neighbors , I want those blossoms for my bees ! My maternal grandmother had them in her yard , we used to trap bees in the blossoms just for fun - and to torment our girl cousins .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 6/21/19 4:38 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

for me !

s.

or my

Well now. Have your girl cousins got even with you yet? Girls have long, long memories.
The big hassle with Hollyhock seeds is they need sunlight to germinate, which exposes them to all kinds of critters, like quail. This is why they like transitions. They can fall through a crack, still get sunlight, and beaks can't get at them.
Terry Coombs wrote:

they seem to like full sun and clay well enough. woodland sandy loam may not be the best place for them.
they are good to grow along some place where you don't have to touch them. those fuzzy stalks and seed pods are very itchy to do anything with. they are also not long-lived plants (two years and they have to be replaced often).
we had a nice variety of them planted here and spent a lot of time getting them established and then rust came along and we've since removed or let the disease take them out.
if you don't want them they're pretty tough to remove. those roots are big and hold tight.
the earliest blooming plants i have here are some small irises and a few weeds which come out pretty quick. they can bloom when there is still snow on the ground. crocuses are early bloomers too. the problem with crocuses is that any herbivores like to eat them and chipmunks will dig up the bulbs if they are not protected.
poppies can bloom late spring and into the summer. columbines are going strong now. some others lilies last longer. daylilies will also be around for a while. not sure they are a great nectar source for bees. cosmos are a great source for the last half of the season. the yellow, orange and reddish blend. i'll see bees covering them pretty heavy once they start blooming. they are an easy annual to grow and give plentiful seeds, just be careful when harvesting the seeds that you don't grab them too tightly as they can be sharp. :)
onions and chives give great flowers for bees i'm seeing that any time they bloom.
i have several types of thymes which bloom. pennyroyal is tremendous bee plant, but it will spread like crazy (like any of the mint family) and has tons of flowers.
songbird
On 6/20/2019 8:14 PM, songbird wrote:

  I was recently given some purple bee balm , hoping to get that established . I'll look into cosmos , see if they do well here . Our spring nectar flow is the only major source for the bees . I'd like to see them getting nectar longer - selfish of me because I want to steal their honey .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Our hollyhocks seem to look after themselves ! They are very happy and take almost zero effort - just some deep watering during dry spells. They are part of a jumble of flowers along the sunny south brick wall of our house. Cherry tomatoes have shown-up there and they really like the location too - and I like them ! .. I'll pick a small handful of ripe ones, as I walk by - and gobble them up - it's like candy ! and it reminds me how the winter greenhouse tomatoes are so very tasteless .. The one recent fatality along that wall was a flowering shrub - similar to rose-of-sharon but smaller - that was fine last year - but I think the weird freeze-thaw cycle this winter-early-spring was its downfall .. John T.
On 6/20/19 6:39 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

! We

me

That is after gettig them started. Starting them is a bear.
On 6/20/2019 8:49 PM, T wrote:

  I suppose I should dig into my bag of seeds and find those . A bit late for this year but if I can only get them going ... I understand that I'll need to plant them 2 years in a row as the only bloom and seed every other year .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old