Mission Fig Roots

Just found this group--great; I'll be a constant lurker. Recently moved to new place and must replace very old shrubs etc. with productive, attractive things--productive first. Immediate question prompted by experiences at former house where roots from trees (ornamentals planted before our time there) wrecked walkways and terracing walls. We've just put in 18 fruit trees in accessible places on our 1/3 acre and cleared about 1200 sq ft for the annual veggies. We now want to plant a Mission Fig about two feet from the edge of an existing concrete patio, but are concerned that roots may eventually raise or crack the patio. (We probably won't live that long, but it's a concern anyway.) Anybody have any knowledge or anecdotal experience, i.e., have or have seen a mature Mission Fig near a walkway, sidewalk, patio, driveway etc., and noted whether the roots disturbed the adjacent "pavement?"

Thanks, Ben Archer

Reply to
Benedict G Archer

Hi All,

I have not heard of a Mission Fig. With Fig trees in the U. K. [ Brown Turkey ] it is recomended that you restrict the roots anyway in order to get more fruit. We grow them in pots in the greenhouse, or if planted out side dig a pit about 3 feet square and line it with flat stones or flags to resrict the roots and fill with good soil. Hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

Reply to
R M. Watkin

We don't grow Mission figs in the South (US). They're mostly grown in California. Our Brown Turkeys do grow about the same size, to 20' tall by

30' wide with 1'+ diameter trunks. Their roots are powerful and placing them 2' from concrete is asking for trouble. I would recommend a minimum of 8-10'. That's not to mention the mess any falling fruit would make on the patio once the limbs overgow it.. Trimming the limbs back to keep them off the patio is an excercise in futility. Gary
Reply to
V_coerulea

Hi All, Your Brown Turkey figs must grow a lot faster than they do in the U. K.

Richard M. Watkin.

Reply to
R M. Watkin

Reply to
Ben Archer

You might just be surprised how fast things which grow so slowlu in the UK will grow in a warmer climate. Here we have oak trees more than a metre in diameter which are less than 100 years old. I grew a chestnut with a trunk about 600mm in diameter in 20 years. My hazelnuts, much the same size as those in the arboretum near Tetbury, are also only about 20 years old.

Roger Dewhurst