mild jalapeños

Hi, does anyone know if jalapenos are sweeter when red than green. I grew some and they weren't hot at all when roasted in the frypan. I haven't tried the green ones yet. But my half ripe yellow waxy were hotter.

TIA

Reply to
Loki

In my experience red jalapenos are definitely sweeter than green. The variety of jalapeno seems to be what determines the heat ( along with weather, etc.) For example I've found the Delicias variety to be heatless and Biker Billy (my favorite) to be very hot.

Bill Moats Pau Hana Farm Milton-Freewater, Oregon

Reply to
Bill Moats

Peppers tend to become more sweet as they ripen. However, hotness can't be absolutely guaranteed by variety, age, climate, or prayer. I mean, in general, a Thai dragon pepper is much hotter than a jalapeno, but there are no certainties. I have heard (awful, awful) that there are mild jalapenos being bred for people who want to include the correctly-named pepper in food, but not venture too far into the Hot Side.

Reply to
Frogleg

il Fri, 6 Feb 2004 10:23:48 -0800, "Bill Moats" ha scritto:

Ahh ok, they were nice but not what I expected. The variety is called Hot Lips (in NZ) so maybe I'd better bite the bullet (or the chilli) and try one green. I have other peppers of indeterminate parentage because they are just mixed second generation seeds from a variety of peppers I grew. So much for careful collection maintenance... Thanks.

Reply to
Loki

il Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:29:06 GMT, Frogleg ha scritto:

Unbelievable! That's as sacriligious as trying to make chocolate flavoured broccoli as a Monsanto spokesman once suggested as a good side to GE. And we trust our food with these people of demonstrably poor taste?? We've had a pretty useless summer so far, maybe all the cloud has killed the heat. Mind you, I did scrape off the seeds and membrane, maybe that made a difference. :-)

Thanks.

Reply to
Loki

il 9 Feb 2004 17:06:25 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (rose) ha scritto:

Not much of a summer to be sure, It's the cloudiest, humidist summer I can remember ever. The grass should be brown but it's lush and green. And the weeds love it! We're moving into autumn so those peppers are ripening nicely.

But it's funny, my mild yellow ones are hot without seeds still, but the jalapenos have a creamy flavour when cooked slowly and deseeded, I haven't been brave enough to eat one seeds and all. I do have some smaller triangular little peppers (dunno what they are) and they are HOT. BTW Do all peppers go through a black stage before ripening?

Reply to
Loki

il 14 Feb 2004 16:09:27 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@CatalyticaEnergy.com (Dave ....) ha scritto:

I get the impression that plant names change from country to country. Whether they are different varieties produced by different nurseries, or the same genotype but different name, I don't know. Suffice to say I've never heard of Texas A & M.

Some of my jalapenos are big and some are small, but they all have that characteristic brown flecking.

Reply to
Loki