Lest we forget

That is immoral on a number of counts.

Yes. So why doesn't anyone think about the custom and start to question why it is that way?

Or are you just happy to continue to blame the customers for being cheap rather than the employers who arent' prepared to pay a decent wage?

Yes that point has already been made by Charlie.

The point that I am making and which continually seems to be overlooked is that your workers are being screwed. The US needs a Labor Day rather than a Libery Day or are you all just happy to sit back and continue to be screwed forever?

Reply to
FarmI

No argument at all there... the minimum wage is government set, and especially in the current labor market employers generally don't pay more than they have to. The fact remains that the customer should be aware of the situation and not take the mean-spirited "They're already getting paid to do this; I'm not giving them any more" approach. In some places a gratuity is added to the bill up front. Not common in the U.S. except for large groups.

Gary Woods

Thinking you, and some others, might enjoy this...

Pete Seeger: The Power of Song

'm workin' and hopin' we can instill some of this in our grands. Pete is another of the true American heros. What courage.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

A little Vaseline (not too much sand, like the old days) and being told that we are number one (Spend half of the worlds war money on weapons, WORLD"S money, not just our enemies[ the guys that don't roll over] but half the WORLD'S M-O-N-E-Y. We are the largest thing in conservative governments since the Third Reich. Over the top? Wars are continuing, Presidential ability to withhold information continues, the transfer of wealth to the rich continues, grinding debt on those who were encouraged (by Shrub:

) to take a chance and buy a house. Torture is not forbidden, continued detention, with no charges continues. Eavesdropping on citizens continues.

We are given a lollypop and the pillage continues. HELLO! On the sane (mine-not my environment's) side of gardening. I broadcast some more onion seeds into the combo onion patch. Adjusted paving stones in garden and seeded between the stones with clover. Did a bit of pruning, and checked under clear plastic lids to see if seedlings needed water (checked the troops). Hopefully, I'll get my terracing done tomorrow and the pepper patch, mulched.

Reply to
Billy

If you know, going-in, that the wait-staff will expect a tip, and you go in anyway, what are you saying but, "OK, I agree to the terms of service". Saying that, the range of tips that I have left, range from $50 to 1 cent (I didn't want him to think that I forgot). If you receive less than satisfactory service, leave a less than satisfactory tip, and conversely, if you have enjoyed your service, reward accordingly. They could have put you next to the toilets.

Reply to
Billy

Billy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.ne t.au:

Billy, he's had just over 3 *months* and the Republicans in Congress are fighting him tooth & nail. what the hell do you think *anyone* can get done in 3 months, especially considering the plate of manure he was handed (2 useless, unwinnable wars, an economy in the tank, and a really greedy Congress with both parties in bed with whoever pays most- big Ag, big Pharma, etc). give the guy some working room will you. he's not the Wizard of Oz. lee

Reply to
enigma

I watched this last night on our local PBS station; Pete lives just down the Hudson river a ways, and younger daughter and her husband have seen him numerous times just sitting in at local clubs. I saw him several years ago at a benefit concert in Albany for a local kid's music project. My date said, "Well, he's the guest of honor, but probably too old to get up and perform." Yeah, old Pete is getting on; he only entertained for 45 minutes that day.

Well, the old Troy Bilt is re-engined and running fine; time (finally) to put in the Sugar Snaps!

Gary Woods

:-)) Excuses excuses. Employers will use them all the time - just a variation on a theme. When it was boom times the excuse was that if they paid staff more it would eat into their competive advantage (and often that was accompanied by "and cause jobs to be driven offshore". I know the latter doesn't apply to the restaurant trade but I'll bet you've heard it.)

In reality, that sounds very like the business is eefectively charging the full cost of the service. That to me is a more effective way of paying the staff what they should be paid for the work they do.

Reply to
FarmI

We'd just call that a Union Contract. And yes, companies here too try to slip in apparently harmless clauses that can be used to their advantage. The labor climate here in the U.S. the past some years is such that many such contracts are pretty toothless. Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/6 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

Reply to
Gary Woods

Nice to hear that he's still alive and can manage that amount of time. he must be very old by now.

Reply to
FarmI

Should have mentioned- Yesterday, 5/4, was Pete Seeger's 90th birthday. He was at a celebration at Madison Square Garden in New York City for it; I'm sure video will follow.

Gary Woods

Wow. And still performing. What a legend.

He

:-)) Wouldn't that be a DVD these days? Or should that be a 'blue ray' something or other (says she not knowing what the hell 'blue ray' means anyway)

Reply to
FarmI

people in the rest of the world where labor and management have something of mutual respect have absolutely no idea of the hatred American business has for unions. My father organized unions and I live in the area where union organizers were gunned down. businesses will hire companies that specialize in preventing or breaking unions and spend themselves into bankruptcy before they will deal with a union. they will shut their business down before dealing with a union.

I had a temp job one summer and watched this process first hand. There were only 8 women (they would never hire a man) who did sterility testing (some wanted to join a union). Because I was hired to write the procedural manuals he felt free to spew his anti-union venom around me. It was an education!

What is particularly vicious is the banks are using taxpayer bailout money to lobby congress against the latest attempt to level the playing field for unions, the "card check" bill. I have a young friend raised by those of the corporate mentality and so terrified of "others" that they would not think of leaving their pure white suburban/rural village to come into our multi-racialethnic city for any reason what-so-ever. She lives in a mental straight jacket and is only gradually emerging in tiny steps. It is truly pathetic to see how limited her life is especially since she is otherwise a highly intelligent and engaging person.

Thankfully, this new young next generation raised on the internet has been exposed to a view of the world other than their parents terror and hatred of anybody and anything different than themselves, and seems to be embracing a social philosophy of inclusiveness.

Ingrid

Reply to
dr-solo

He could decline Presidential Privilege. He made torture illegal for the Army. He could have done the same thing to the C.I.A. He could allow, not encourage, allow a legal review of the previous administration actions. We have stopped paying the Sunni militias to stand down (just in time for the elections) and violence is on the rise again in Iraq. Afghanistan is a nightmare that is just starting to unfold. Every innocent person that our troops, or "drones", kill gives rise to more people who want vengeance against the western powers. Obama said that he would bring the wars to an end and now we are positioned to have 50,000 combat troops in Iraq indefinitely (no mention of the 150,000 mercenaries that we have there) and he is ramping up the war in Afghanistan.

If we wanted peace, we could have it on the cheap (comparatively) by not involving ourselves in Iraqi politics (but then, they are our own, aren't they?) and just build water treatment plants, and power generation stations (infrastructure). Then we would be seen as a liberators and not occupiers. We had a chance to say that the errors of the past, died with the last administration. If we continue the errors, suppression of oil producing countries (and countries where we want to place oil pipelines) will be seen as a "set" element of American foreign policy.

We have a chance for a new beginning, people want to think that Obama is a good man. We are "offered" intelligent, thoughtful changes in energy production to improved relations with Cuba, just about everything except for the pillaging of the national wealth and reputation. Instead of a government of, by and for the people, the government seems poised to suppress dissent.

Reply to
Billy

Yeah. ;-)

It's been been said by the Scottish historian and philosopher David Hume ...

"Truth springs from argument amongst friends."

I count myself fortunate to have misunderstandings and arguments with you.

Thanks for the continuing education, Fran.

Charlie, up *way* past his bedtime tonite.

Reply to
Charlie

Thanks for the description and experience with anti-unionism, Ingrid.

I remember decades ago when farmers and truckers here in the midwest were trying to organize and were being shot at on the highways.

Hopefully even those of our generation, at least mine (I don't which generation to which you belong), are having attitudinal changes and becoming more inclusive and accepting of diversity.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

That is a parochial statment.

But then of course no-one outside the US would have ever heard of Jimmy Hoffa would they?

I suspect you are being overly optimistic.

Reply to
FarmI

Gosh. That's stopped me in my tracks as it's far more of a compliment than I deserve.

Thank you Charlie, I feel quite humbled.

Reply to
FarmI

video on the page.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Well now, old china, I guess we're even. :-)

Care Charlie

Reply to
Charlie