In a rush

Started germinating early this year. The seeds are at least 3 - 5 years old, and were stored in the refrigerator. The peas came on so fast that I need to find my soil thermometer to see how close I am to transplant, or re-pot. I almost totally lost a few lettuce potting cells to neglect, but they have bounced back with watering. Brandywine, Green Zebra, and Stupice tomatoes, squash, and cucumbers have shown themselves from last Sundays planting. The peppers, typically, will take another week to show.

I may have walked myself out on a limb with germinating so soon, but as we all know, there aren't any mistakes, just experiments.

Week-end work: prepping the lettuce bed, and replacing a Washington orange tree that hasn't even flowered in the last 5 years, and replacing it with an apricot. Maybe I can pot the orange and see if that works.

In any event, the jihad begins.

Reply to
Billy

I am starting my winter stuff next week. The summer veges are still producing well. I will have to give away beans this week.

We have had heavy rain, a torrent was running through the garden and it's on a hillside! As of this morning up north a bit at a little place called Dorrigo they had had 393mm of rain in 24 hours, that's 15 1/2 inches for those who use ells, fathoms and other archaic measures. My river is flooding, where I pump water from is about 8m (17 cubits) under, the pump is of course in the shed, the ends of the pipes will be floating through the tops of the trees.

David Hare-Scott

David Hare-Scott wrote: ...

glad to hear you are getting some rain down there.

you know me, i'm always up for a water diversion project. :)

haha, cubits, ...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Rick wrote: ...

pint is a varied measure. isn't it the Brits who use 20fl oz for the pint?

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Yes but their fluid oz is a different size so all is right with the world. Of course if we had been talking about a pint of beans the volume would have been different from beer.

To show that serious drinkers have it sorted out across the atlantic a traditional whisky bottle in the US is the same volume as in the UK, being a fifth of a gallon and a sixth of a gallon respectively. To make things easy the former is called a fifth, the latter would be a sixth, right? No the latter is a reputed quart.

Strangely a litre is the same anywhere in the world whatever you measure with it. How weird is that!

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Actually, it depends on the temperature and atmospheric pressure. A liter is only a liter under standard conditions. Interesting about thw whisky bottle sizes. However if the British really get 1/6 gallon they get over half a ml extra (under standard conditions of course)!

Reply to
Rick

This applies to any liquid measure regardless of units, I was talking about the oddities of traditional naming of units.

Interesting about

Can any of the Banterers confirm if the rep quart is still in use in the UK? It hasn't been used here since metrication. I would expect it has now been rounded to 750ml, or if originating from the continent 700ml.

David Hare-Scott

An Imperial Pint is 20 oz so it's not just the Brits who use that measure. I can't even recall what the 16oz Pint system is called.

Reply to
Farm1

It would vary less than the "fill" in the bottle from your friendly giggle-water producer, and even less than the "pour" from your neighborhood publican.

Reply to
Billy