Ideas for most used Fruit/Veg/Herbs for Plantable Wrapping Paper!

Hi everyone, Nick here. I've joined this forum to get some feedback on the most popular/commonly grown fruit, veg and herbs in the UK & U.S. so we can further develop our 100% Plantable Wrapping Paper that we currently have on Kickstarter. (search 'Plantable Paper' on Kickstarter or look for Eden's paper).

I'd be really interested to understand what fruit/veg/herbs would be most suitable and appeal most at christmas time.

It's 100% Plantable Paper so after you unwrap your gifts at Chrismtas you can plant them and grow (currently): Carrots, Broccoli, Chillies, Onions, & Tomatos.

We've thought about doing 'Xmas Dinner' sets, so for example a set of wrapping paper that has parsnips, carrots, brocolli, etc all in one sheet. Really welcome everyones feedback on thsi to understand what would work and appeal!!

Thanks

Nick

Reply to
EdensPaper

You can get little moulds (usually of turned wood) that let you press your newspaper into the shape of a small pot. The mould will cost a few dollars round here. You can then turn out little pots in a minute each for as long as your pile of newsprint lasts. Surprisingly the newspaper pot is quite strong enough to fill with earth/seedlingmix and it will survive watering until the seedling is a few weeks old. Then you plant the lot out, the newspaper will turn to pulp and the roots will come though and your plant will go on with no transplant shock. In this sense at least newspaper works just fine as plantable paper and costs nothing once you have read the news.

"Plantable paper", Jiffy pots and the like are not really required, you are paying for the coolness factor and in the case of first accepting some other person's view of what cultivars your giftees should plant and at what spacing. Then there is the issue of choosing your gift wrapping to match the growing season. Why is it that normal wrapping paper cannot be shredded and composted or used as sheet mulch? I suppose there are people waiting until apple, lemon and banana are available regardless of whether it makes any sense to grow them in their area or from seeds at all.

Some innovations are merely interesting and some are actually useful, this one seems rather pointless to me. I will be surprised if it gets off the ground and if the stuff is still on sale in 5 years I will give a pig to the church.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

About 5 years ago, OK maybe not, I saw what I think the OP is offering. It was a strip of paper with seeds stuck to it at the "correct" spacing for planting. The idea was to prepare the ground lay the strip/s out as necessary and cover with the right amount of seed raising mix.

I never bought it and have no idea how successful it might have been.

I like the idea of making newsprint jiffy pots though and will now check out the devices to create them.

Mike

Reply to
Bloke Down The Pub