Hops compost

I have seen some compost material made from the recycled detrius of beer-making operations.

1) Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

2) Is it good?

3) I'm inclined to worry that hop-based compost might attract slugs

-- does it?

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark

I have used a hops/barley mixture quite often on my garden (from a local micro brew pub, and my own "nanobrew" system). It seems to be a fine soil additive. I don't even compost it--just dilute it a little and broadcast it on the soil between plants.

I will warn you about a crazy problem that i had THIS particular spring. I also have a freind who runs a coffee shop, who saved about 10 gallons of coffee grounds for me. So one afternoon, I spread about 10 gallons of coffee grounds and about 20 of brewery waste on my soil in the spring.

The next morning (a saturday) I went out to till all the stuff in, but suffering from a severe hangover, was unable to do it. Once the sun hit it and it warmed up, it just reaked of stale beer and coffee!!!

The smell goes away quickly, within about a day after a good watering.

Reply to
Bpyboy