Growing sprouts from bird seed?

I have a cockatiel which I feed a mix of seeds (among other things). A lot of the bigger seeds he doesn't eat much of. He prefers the smaller seeds. Do you think it would be a good idea if I planted these in my garden and ate the sprouts? That way I don't have to waste them. Are some kinds of sprouts more nutritious than others or are they all about the same? Are they all very good?

Reply to
wizzzer

I've done that! Most of the big seeds are sunflowers, usually. I had a bird feeder for a while, but when my cats started bringing me feathered corpses (thanks guys) I removed the feeder. I sprouted the seed in shallow dirt on my balcony just for fun, and got lots of nice seed sprouts.

Of course, I don't know what seed are in your mix, but I'm sure the bag will tel you.

Reply to
tenacity

I've done that! Most of the big seeds are sunflowers, usually. I had a bird feeder for a while, but when my cats started bringing me feathered corpses (thanks guys) I removed the feeder. I sprouted the seed in shallow dirt on my balcony just for fun, and got lots of nice seed sprouts.

Of course, I don't know what seed are in your mix, but I'm sure the bag will tel you.

Reply to
tenacity

Make sure the mix does not contain sorghum, or you might poison yourself with the sprouts.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Depends what type of bird it is for, but:

red millet prosso millet white millet sunflower rape seed

and others I can no longer recall.

Spray millet grows quite nicely and seed eating birds just love it. A friend owned a pet shop and lived on a farm; he made a nice profit selling this fresh spray millet.

Reply to
Jim Carter