Frost

Last Thursday was the only day in the last month that the soil was dry enough to work. I busted my hump putting in squash, cucumbers, peanuts, okra, beans and my precious heirloom tomatoes. Now the local effing weatherman is calling for lows in the mid to low 30's and frost in the morning. I've been scrambling all afternoon, trying to cover all the tender plants. I guess I'm not looking for any advise, maybe just a little commiseration. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek

Peanuts? Where are you located? I can commiserate about the stupid late frosts, we get them here all the time. Lost the first batch of corn and squash this year already, and a friend lost 40 tomato plants. Only thing I've learned to count on weather-wise is that you won't get the last late frost until you start putting stuff in the ground. Damn Murphy...

Victoria, zone 5a

Reply to
Lilah Morgan

I don't set anything tender out until after Memorial day, and I always hold a few spare plants back until early June. Last year I had everything looking good, the tomatoes and peppers had actually started growing again after being set out... and a mighty hailstorm wiped everything out.

If the plants are small, a piece of white plastic sewer pipe cut into

10" to 12" sections works great for protecting young transplants from frost, wind, and harsh sun until they get established a bit.

Brown paper bags with the bottoms cut out and those flimsy wire tomato cages work great for larger plants.

Good luck.

/Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Reply to
Steve Peek

I read the message that said you were in western NC. I am about 20 miles south of the VA line just off of I77. The Surry County Community College weather page said the low was 36.9°F overnight.

I just started my squash and melons in the greenhouse last week. My tomatoes have been out since April 26. I will direct seed the beans, corn and okra when I don't sink up to my ankles when I walk into the garden.

Reply to
The Cook

Hiya Steve, I'll commiserate with you! lol, the forecast has had us scrambling a little bit out here in the sandhills of NC too. Since it seems you can never trust the weathermen around here, we covered just in case. It is a little easier for us to cover things though, as we just use the plastic sheeting and old curtains from the turkey houses. And here at 8am, the temp is still just 48....and to think we were about to melt a couple of weeks ago...lol!

~Rae

Reply to
rachael simpson

Based on the link's defintion of commiseration:

"1. commiseration - a feeling of sympathy and sorrow for the misfortunes of others"

You have my empathy. Sympathy, you should not look to strangers in my opinion.

-- Dave

Reply to
Dioclese

I'm in Buncombe county just north of Asheville. I heard 35 at the airport this morning & we're almost always a couple colder.

I never plant warm weather crops before mid May, it just doesn't pay, too many late frosts. I know what you mean about that sinking feeling. I'm afraid if I stand still for more than a couple of seconds I won't be able to free myself.

Reply to
Steve Peek

Howdy, neighbor. :-) I live in Erwin, TN, just up the road from you.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Lewis

Hey neighbor, you're less than an hour away. I'll bet there was frost on Sam's Gap this morning.

Reply to
Steve Peek

Yeah I wish I could find some that needed even less than that, because I love peanut butter(and making peanut brittle for a friend who can't resist the stuff). I could always trying growing them in pots I suppose...and it's supposed to frost tonight, so I had to cover up my baby beans. I have 7 little ones coming up in the patch I planted...was it only a couple weeks ago? Anyways, hopefully they'll survive.

Reply to
Lilah Morgan