What can I plant this late in zone 4?

Between the (former) rabbit that ate all my okra, 2 tomatoes, and a nibbled my pepper plants last week, and the douchebag lawn service that sprayed 2,4-d thru the chain link fence into my garden*, I have a lot of bare ground right now. Is there anything I can plant this late? Maybe zucchini or hybrid cucumbers? Bush green beans? Or some kind of fall crop like kohlrabi?

Bob, in S.E. Minnesota

*Not the same company that did this 2 years ago. This one (Diamond Lawn Care, Inc) did a lot more damage. It couldn't have just been drift, they'd have to active spray though the fence to reach as far as they did. I reported them to the MN Dept of Agriculture for pesticide misuse, and an agent came out the next day and took soil and vegetation samples. Still waiting for the lab results.
Reply to
zxcvbob

I have never been to Minnesota so I am making this up as I go along. Zucchini, cucumbers and beans all take about 2 months (sometimes more) to first harvest. If first frost is not long after that you won't get much production. Maybe try some brassicas or lettuce, chard, rocket and other cutting greens that will produce quicker and/or survive a mild frost. As long as you keep the water up to them and keep the cabbage moth away in the warm weather brassicas will be OK.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Inspired by the tread concerning beans. I plant about three weeks apart . Some plants can't handle the heat beans can.

More on planting late below.

Late Planting Guide From Seed From an Old Organic Magazine

Frost date is Oct 15 Last frost May 15

Your dates may differ due to your climate

July 4 100 days till Oct 15

Frost tender

85 days Snap Beans by July 25 97 days Corn by July 4 86 days Cucumbers by July 25 110 days Tomatoes by June 25 81 ays Squash by Aug 1

Survive Light Frost

90 days Cauliflower by July 25 84 days Chinese Cabbage by July 25 74 days Beets by Aug 15 113 days Endive by June 25 63 days Kohlrabi by Aug 30 76 days Loose Leaf Lettuce by Aug 1r 96 days Head Lettuce by July 4 70 days Peas by Aug 15

Survive Heavy Frost

99 days Cabbage by July 4 85 days Carrots by July 25 70 days Chard by Aug 15 90 days Collards by July 4 95 days Broccoli by July 4 120 days Brussels Sprouts by June 15 95 days Kale by July 4 42 days Radishes Summer by Sept 5 72 days Radishes Winter by Aug 15 64 days Spinach by Aug 25 51 days Turnips by Sept 15

-- People need to remember that these are average frost dates, for zone

  1. I'm also zone five.

Some years things will be done in around the average date, other years it may go much later. Three years ago we were still harvesting tomatoes aaround thanksgiving time. I had covered a few plants when frost hit the end of october. No frost or freeze until around thnksgiving.

Charlie

An' that's the way it is, movin' on.

Reply to
Bill who putters