How Late Can I Plant Trees in DC?

Just curious how late this year I can plant trees in the Wash, DC area? Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Dr. Strangelove says you better do it soon before they finally drop the big one!!!

You better do it before 5:00 PM because its dark by then because of that darn Daylight Savings Time thing.

What kind of tree is it? Could it be a money tree?

Just what exactly are they smoking in the Whitehouse nowadays?

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........

You can plant trees in DC until the ground freezes (mid to late December). November is the best month for many trees.

Reply to
Compostman

Didn't you hear that the Iraqis have the Doomsday Machine? Trust me, it's a slam dunk.

Reply to
jc_va

Any time before the ground freezes, and make certain you water it very well after and don't let the tree settle any lower in the hole that it was in the container or ball and burlap. Remove the wire and any mesh if it is in a ball. Container plants can go in any time the ground is still soft enough and not too wet to work.

Reply to
Jangchub

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in news:HPubf.3213$IC.1200 @dukeread07:

I have always liked the sign at Merrifield:

Q. What is the best time to plant a tree?

A. Today.

Q. What is the next best time?

A. Tomorrow.

It's probably safe up to mid-December, although the sooner the better.

Reply to
Robert Salmon

"Buck Turgidson" wrote

Until the ground freezes. If you have a jackhammer you can even do it then. Deciduous trees are dormant in the winter and can be easily planted any time.

Evergreen trees can be planted in the winter but care must be taken because they still need to be watered for a while.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

I was always told that you can plant a deciduous tree as long as you can get a shovel in the ground. evergreens however need a couple of months to acclimate before the hard freeze.

Ron H.

Reply to
Ron H