flowers on fruits and veggies - pick or not?

This is probably a very simple question but I'll ask it anyway. When the flowers show up on your fruits (tomatoes, strawberries), or veggies (peas), do you pick them or leave them? I'm sure last year my dad told me to always pick the tomato flowers as they showed up but I'm fairly certain I'm supposed to leave the strawberry and pea flowers to get any fruit. Should I be leaving the tomato flowers??

Reply to
treacob

Only if you want fruit.

Reply to
The Cook

If, in the past, all the flowers were picked from the tomato plants; can assure you that no tomatoes resulted. Leave the flowers, then observe exactly where the tomato plant is making its tomatoes. Barring bloom rot, lack of wind or lack of self-pollenation, you should see that the blooms that don't fall off are generally replaced by tomatoes. Dave

Reply to
Dave

OK, maybe my memory really is that bad because I did get tomatoes last year! I will leave all my blooms from now on and look forward to a bountiful harvest! thanks!

Reply to
treacob

It is said that if you pick the first flower from the tomato plant, you will get a larger crop. I don't know, my maters tend to produce more than enough in general. Last year doesn't count, when I didn't realize that I've planted my garden in between two black Walnut trees and had zero crop :).

-M

Reply to
Jane Doe

I think I realized my error - I believe what I was told last year was to pick the suckers, not the flowers, but somehow my memory said flowers...anyway, thanks all for setting me straight.

Reply to
treacob