Fact or fiction?

For $425.15 a pair!!!!! I will take the plastic ones for $10 each at

Dan L.

Billy

Uh, in the future, you may want to check it out through the library first. Just remember, I didn't recommend it ;O)

Trust me. You need roses.

Reply to
Billy

Everyone knows how flowers grow. Nobody knows why.

Old hippy statement.

Reply to
Bill who putters

LOL! I'm with Dan on this one and somewhat grateful that he has "seen the light"; LOL! In fact, I dislike virtually all garden flowers. Even in my younger days, found flowers to be garish and ugly. Always regarded growing flowers to be as silly and as great a waste of resources and as abusive of the environment as maintaining a "lawn" and simply don't do either. In fact, I had hoped that by now enlightened jurisdictions in U.S.A. would have begun banning lawns (among the largest, most environmentally destructive of all large-scale "monocrops") and restricting flower gardening but, I guess it ain't gonna happen: The movies-induced vision of happy family in its quaint bungalow replete with picket fence and green, green lawn simply remains too strong, I guess. Man, don't _even_ get me started on those nasty-assed European honeybees-from-Hell and the ignorant, lazy, irresponsible twits who continue to allow them to escape into the environment, at large, and naturalize.

Reply to
<balvenieman

What are you doing in a gardening group, if you don't like bees and flowers?

Time to crawl back into your drink, and consider yourself "slimed".

Reply to
Billy

I'm the opposite about flowers. I used to just work on getting wildflowers to grow, but when I started growing zinnia's, sunflowers etc for market, I got hooked. I would describe flowers as 'food for the soul.' So now I do both wildflowers and annuals. But I don't do lawn.

Reply to
kate

I've never had much use for things you can't eat (OK, Chrysanthemums and other edible flowers), but a bit of beauty is OK too; I may actually restore a front flower bed that had been my wife's domain. I thought lupines were edible? At least in the Monty Python skit. We have them growing wild in the Albany (NY) "Pine Bush" area, which is actually the remnants of an ancient sea, and quite sandy, unlike my clay whose main purpose is to bind the rocks together.

(I like my malt dark roasted and fermented, rather than distilled, but to each his own).

Gary Woods

Which part of "rec.gardens.EDIBLE" exceeds your level of comprehension?

Reply to
<balvenieman

The part where you "dislike virtually all garden flowers" and, "Man, don't _even_ get me started on those nasty-assed European honeybees-from-Hell and the ignorant, lazy, irresponsible twits who continue to allow them to escape into the environment".

What part of flowers support bees, and bees support food production don't you get?

As for being a hippie, you'd never pass in California, crack-pot, yeah, but never hippie.

Have another drink, it's almost happy hour.

Reply to
Billy

The best library there is, is my my front room. The nearest library is

20 miles away, round trip 40, the gas cost and the drive time and book searching time is a waste of time. If I truly liked the book I would buy it anyways plus the cost of gas and time would go toward a new book delivered directly to my home with free shipping. I would rather have the local governments to provide free wireless internet access to the public and give low cost computers to those that need one. Then close the public libraries along with all police (for profit) stations (truly a waste of tax payers money and a tool for the rich). Todays libraries look like homeless centers. From the Cynic!

I trust no one! WHY do I need roses (thorny weed in my recommended book).

Reply to
Dan L.

Huh? I do my search and request on line. Then the book arrives at the library, 2 mi. away, which I need to pass anyway to go to the nursery or food shopping.

My wife is in the process of wrapping "The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency". I would have hated to buy all 9 (?) books. Anyway, I prefer to preview what I buy, and then buy a couple of books a month. This will only last until Aug., when I return to the salt mines of Moria.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."

--Abraham Lincoln

Reply to
Billy

My lawn has been destroyed by chickens which are not caged, my vegetable garden is caged. However, I like those european honeybees from Italy they are mild creatures and I like their honey. Bees belong in the natural environment. If they escape in a swarm too bad, prove they belong to me neighbor! Flowers are needed in my garden for the nectar that bees need to survive. I need a variety of flowers that bloom at different times of the year, food for the bees. Roses however provide little in return for the amount of work needed to care for them.

If you don't like Roses, lawns, flowers and honey bees. What do you like in a garden? Rocks and Sand?

Reply to
Dan L.

Some times it is just space and intent and if the garden muse gifts you beauty.

Bill who putters

"This is one of the disadvantages of wine: it makes a man mistake words for thought." ~~Samuel Johnson

And you accuse *me* of sliming a group.

Go have another drink, you POS. I do believe you have outdone sheldon, in the gin rummy category.

Charlie

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." ~Jack Handey

Reply to
Charlie

Just got to believe in "Flower Power", right on.

Reply to
Billy

LOL. Well I did find one of my posts repeated in full (with no attribution) on a commercial site.

Reply to
FarmI

I like the quote. The quote alone is one good reason to keep at least one rose bush alive :)

Reply to
Dan L.

The bees will thank you ;O)

Reply to