edible water chesnut and bamboo

hallo,

i love my chinese bamboo shoots and water chesnuts.

can i grow edible ones in a hot climate - hot summers, cold winters and i have lots of water nearby.

sofar i am told that bamboo cant be eaten crunchy raw as it has cyanide but has to be cooked for 20 mins to make it edible. have also been advised that typha minima is the one to grow for its edible corms.

does anyone know if this is correct?

thanks

karaman the spirit never dies

Reply to
karaman

Growing both water chestnuts and bamboo will probably be no problem unless your winters are freezing cold. For water chestnuts you need a pond, I use an old steel bath. Bamboo will gow anywhere in the sun though better with decent soil and getting watered when it is dry in summer. I don't know about the best cultivar of bamboo or its treatment.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Reply to