seed starter mix

I am new to starting seeds so I am wondering if anyone in the forum has experience making their own seed starter mix, and if it has worked out better than buying a pre-mixed substance. I thought perhaps if the seedlings got a taste of the soil they will actually be growing in, they might do better, so I am not necessarily trying to save money; I'm only going to start 2 or 3 dozen plants anyway - mostly tomatoes and peppers. Chas

Reply to
villon

What are you trying to say, when you say,"a taste of the soil"?

See thread in rec.gardens on "A question on planting seeds".

Reply to
Billy

I have thrown stuff together before and it worked. I tend to use those fibrous holders and transfer the whole thing to the ground. I am soaking some seeds in water right now seeing how fast that goes. I'm still waiting for seeds to sprout in the basement, been over 4 weeks. Too cold. i didn't soak the seeds as was recommended to me.

greg

Reply to
Gz

I just use sifted compost that was once hot.

for other options gardening being an art.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Like most things on the web the details are lacking such as bottom heat or light questions another good reason to query here. Best I think is finding a local that does it.

Reply to
Bill who putters

y the poor have no food, they call you a communist.=B2

Thanks for the responses. Sorry I didn't make myself clearer. What I was thinking was to blend up my own seed starter mix using perhaps 1/4 to 1/2 garden soil along with screened sphagnum moss and vermiculite or pearlite. My pseudo-logic being that the seedlings would be better adapted to the soil that they will be transplanted into. I'll check out the article you mentioned. Chas

Reply to
villon