starting seeds

Am here in Zone 9, sunny (well usually) Ca. If I read the information correctly our last frost date is in February so I should have already started my tomato and other seeds that say to start them

6-7 weeks before last frost date. Is it too late to sow the seeds indoors? Do i need to use heated pads or grow lights, or can I just grow them in my sun roon that gets sun from about 11:am to 4 p.m. It does get cold at night, so should I heat it somehow at night?

Helen

Reply to
HPBudlong

You can start them in your sun room, depending on how cold it gets at night. Usually 60 degrees is the coldest most seeds can take and still germinate. I start them in our plant room down stairs, because it houses out freezer. I set the trays on top of the freezer (which stays warm all the time because it is a frost free freezer) and they always do well. They need real sun shine soon after sprouting or they will get leggy and wont be any good to plant outside

You can start them now and harden them off as they grow. I used to set them outside during the day in the sunshine and bring them back in at night. It wont hurt to plant them small as long as the last frost day is past and the daytime temp is high enough to promote growth. I don't know about tomatoes, but if you transplant watermelons outside and then have a cold day (40 to 55 degrees), it will stunt their growth.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne