Can I sky water tiny zukes

Hi All,

My zukes still have heir initial leaves. How long can I sky water them before I risk powder mildew?

Many thanks,

-T

doesn't powdery mildew is usually show up during the hot and dry periods? for me that is later in the season and some years it doesn't happen much at all. seems to hit the bee balm and some false sunflowers the worst, but they seem to survive anyways so i've not done much to fight it.

i don't know what "sky water" means, but i'd assume you mean watering from overhead? for that i'd not water in the evening, but instead in the morning so that the water can evaporate from the leaves as quickly as possible.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I have listened to advice for years about when or how to water to protect from wilt. I just wish someone could convince the clouds overhead to comply.

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Hi

You got it right. I meant water falling from above. Basically, me standing there with a fancy hose nozzle set on "Shower".

I realize at some point, I have to switch to soaking the ground.

I got white power mildew something awful. I have presumed it was from mist from the law sprinklers. This year I am letting the law die, so no mist.

-T

when skimming i thought you meant rain, but after i reread it...

actually, my comment about "during hot and dry" periods is wrong, so i would assume your letting the lawn go is going to help, yes.

if you have trouble getting the water to not hit the leaves get a longer extension for the hose which will let you direct the water better without having to bend over.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Hi Songbird,

Great idea. Just stick the extension under the canopy!

-T

I thought you were in Nevada. You're losing a lot of water to evaporation before it even reaches the ground. What benefit do you find in delaying the switch to soaking?

Reply to
Drew Lawson

My zukes always die off from white power mildew. I think it is from the mist from the lawn sprinklers, but I am not sure. I will find out the season as I am not watering the lawn anymore. I am a bit paranoid, black thumb and all.