Paint in the can life span?

Hi All,

I have some paint in the can, never opened. How many years is it good for? I believe it is seven years old.

Many thanks,

-T

I think 7 is cool. I have opened stuff for 20 that works for touch ups. Not a pro, just my 2.

Reply to
Thomas

Should be good even if latex. If oil based it can easily to 10+

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thank you! The s--- was expensive!

An old painter told me as long as the air doesn't get to the solvent, paint lasts a real long time but you might need a shaker to get it going again. When you store paint, transfer it to the smallest air tight container it will completely fill, even if you have to throw some away. I like those screw top Glad containers if I only have a half pint or so left. You can see the color through the container but I still put a dab on the top. That works well for a little touch up. If you leave a pint in the bottom of a gallon can for very long, you might as well just throw it away. (in the proper haz mat place)

Reply to
gfretwell

Thank you! I never opened the can.

Just for amusement, but ca 2003 we trashed a thirty year old hard as rock can of paint but my uncle who had bought it came back from a trip and said we shouldn't have, all it would take was some turpentine. (Yes, he's the brilliant but stubborn engineer who spent five hours unclogging the bathtub himself.)

Reply to
vjp2.at