I'm moving to my new house at the end of March and am trying to decid
what to do about the vegetable garden that I don't have space for. Al
I will have is a sort-of passageway that is paved with bricks. But it'
quite wide and I'm thinking of building a raised bed along one side tha
is the whole length, out of bricks. The area gets plenty of light too.
I have a couple of questions/concerns though, but here's basically wha
I'm thinking of doing:
1. I don't intend to pull up the bricks (underneath the bed itself) bu
will ensure there is sufficient drainage. The passage is on a sligh
tilt/angle so shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, there is also onl
building rubble under the bricks, so there seems no point.
2. I'm wondering if I need to seal the bottom and inner sides.
3. I intend to put a layer of stones in the bottom, also to ai
4. There will be 3 or 4 sections separated also with a brick wall t
add strength to the structure and also to be able to rotate the crops.
5. I'm not sure what the minimum depth should be, especially if
intend to grow carrots and onions as-well.
Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.