Birds Don't Eat Berries

Glenna, you have lost a child, and I convey my condolences to you and the rest of your family.

Without asking, I did things like pruning their shrubs and pulling weeds. I didn't want to embarrass them. I trimmed back the blackberries on their property for a couple of years to a limited extent. Eventually the blackberries got to be too much, and I gave it up and the berries took over.

If there was anyone who really suffered the most from this infestation, it was the grandmother. She lived upstairs, and could not get down the stairs on her own to the front door to unlock it if someone were to come calling. However, there was a stairway up to the second floor from the back yard. Before the blackberries took over, I could get through their back yard and up the back steps to help her out, fetch her the mail and bring it in to her. After the blackberries, she was imprisoned in her own house, with no way for anyone other than family to come in.

Exactly, which is why I mentioned my need for patroling our yard on a continuing basis to keep the blackberries at bay. I do not use a commercial poison.

The people who purchased the home were also a multi-generational family. Grandma stayed at home and cared for her grandchildren while the parents worked. Grandpa's occupation was vegetable growing. He turned that vacant patch into a lovingly-tended garden.

Now, they've moved out, too, and there's a commercial gardening service that comes by and maintains the property. But grandpa's garden has grassed over, and no one's growing vegetables there now.

Reply to
Claire Petersky

hmmmm! Wonder if GWB declared war on them too! :)

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

This was in the 1970s and early-'80s, LONG time before the Georges :)

Kely Paul Graham

Reply to
Kelly Paul Graham

Chances are, we'll have a buckling or two for sale next year. Any toggenburgs we get won't be able to be registered, anyhow. A neutered male goat is just the thing for eating lots of plant matter.

Ray Drouillard

Reply to
Ray Drouillard

A South Carolina blackberry can whup a Texas blackberry's candy ass any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

They've whupped mine a few times, but the blackberries wuz worth it.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

You know, people talk about feeding kudzu to goats all the time, but every goat I've ever known would only eat kudzu if it couldn't jump fence and get something it liked better.

I'd say "kudzu! Tell me where and I'll get the Round Up!"

My neighbor and I nipped the kudzu that was along the fence in the bud, so to speak. Got the poison ivy, too.

Blackberry is tricksy and sly, as I mentioned, it sneaks in and sprouts all over the place, one sneaky cane at a time

Well, the multiflora rose is out front. If they want to feed their goat and can keep it out of the other flower beds, they're welcome to try. Manure is welcome in my yard, but if it eats my peppers, Vulgar Words Will Be Spoken.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Cut and pour on some boiling water.