Chipmunks and Tomatoes

For the first time in 11 years of gardening here, I am having a problem with chipmunks gnawing/eating/stealing tomatoes.

I have tried putting mousetraps around the plants, but obviously they can sidestep them. They easily get through chicken wire, too.

Anyone have any ideas?

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Feed them somethign else?

Seems like when nature gets desperate they'll eat anything and nothing short of killing them off will stop them--unless they get food THAT ISN'T your tomatoes.

I've got tons of birds and squirrels and a few chipmunks and none of them touch anything in the garden or any of the neighbors that I know of that garden. Others complain of birds pecking open tomatoes. When hungry or thirsty they will go after anything.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY,

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

You might try traps. We use the Hav-A-Hart trap, a small one sized for chipmunks. Chipmunks are inherently curious and will enter the trap to see what is in there. We use peanuts as bait, but in some cases no bait is necessary. We have caught 14 this year; unfortunately, more to come.

We are also experiencing chipmunks this year as never before, meaning

27 years in our case. What give with chipmunks all of a sudden?

Guy Bradley Chesterfield MO zone 6

Reply to
Guy Bradley

A "master" gardner just told me yesterday that human hair keeps squirrels away. Don't know about the stripped rats. Maybe works for them. LUK

Reply to
Tom Hooper