a few questions on the basics of peach tree care

Hi All; I recently planted a few peach trees and was hoping someone might be able to give me the low down on when the best time to fertilize is and what to use. Also, what bugs/diseases should I look out for and how can I treat them. In case the answers are dependent on region, I'm zone 6 in the Northeast. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. Cheers-

Reply to
Starbob

Hi Bob, I maintain my Redhaven and Elberta Peach trees by giving them a fungicide and/ or dormant oil spray before blossom set. After petal fall, follow through with a general orchard spray, unless your trees are attacked by something very nasty. I give the trees a cover of mulch and composted fertilizer in the fall. You can give the trees something like Miracle Grow during the growing season. I'm in zone 5, midwest, but the same holds for your region. Follow the directions on the spray bottles, and wear protective clothing including a breather mask when spraying.

Good Luck,

Sherwin D.

Starbob wrote:

Reply to
sherwindu

You may also want to learn how to prune peach trees. They are pruned differently from apples, pears and plums. The center of the peach and apricot tree should be opened up to the sun. Call your extension agent or check out a book.

I also plant garlic around the bottoms of all my fruit trees. When we lived in Arkansas someone told me that it helps keep some of the bugs/worms away. I cant swear to it, but in my opinion it helps.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne