Wiring requirements for hob, oven and extractor please?

I have a gas hob which requires mains for the ignition circuit and above that an extractor canopy which also obviously requires a mains connection. Then there is a gas oven which again requires a mains connection but is separate from the hob and extractor, about 4 feet away. How do I wire these? Do they each need a separate FCU or can they all be fed off one?

Reply to
clangers_snout

On Mon, 4 May 2009 06:57:41 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be clangers snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote this:-

A search engine will pull up detailed answers to these questions.

The short version is that if you have an existing cooker circuit then there are minor advantages in using that. Provided there is a switch within 2m of the hob and the oven that is fine. You can then use fused connection units to connect the individual appliances. More than one cord should not be connected to these and it is unlikely that the clamping arrangements in each appliance is suitable for feeding another appliance.

Alternatively if there is no cooker circuit then the appliances can be connected to an existing ring main. How you do this depends on the layout. Individual unfused spurs leading to a switched fused outlet are probably the best bet, but depending on the layout it may be more advantageous to run a fused spur and then take the appliances from that via suitable switches/cord outlets.

If you have detailed questions and are unable to use a search engine then borrow/buy a copy of the book at which will explain.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Mon, 4 May 2009 06:57:41 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be clangers snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote this:-

I forgot to add. If you are in England or Wales beware of John Prescott.

Reply to
David Hansen

Thanks for that. Could you advise on one thing though. I will probably just feed an ordinary dual gang socket from a single FCU and plug the appliances into that. What I don't know though is how to hide the flex cable for the cooker hood as it makes its way down to the socket which will be under the work surface. Can it be run behind channel, which will be hidden behind the tiles, or do the regs require it to be run in conduit?

Any advice appreciated

Reply to
clangers_snout

Why not install a single socket high on the wall (where you might be able to hide it behind the cooker hood's cowl) - with the cables chased into the wall (and tiled over, if desired).

AIUI, under curent regs, all kitchen fixed wiring needs either to be protected by an RCD, or needs to be buried at least 50mm behind the surface of the wall.

Reply to
Roger Mills