TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

#6 copper would work fine for a 50 amp circuit.

Reply to
John Hines

Typical range is 50 amps, 240v single phase, 4 wire now days in some places.

3 wire in others. I believe that 6 AL or 8 copper is the correct size. You should look for SER or SEU cable depending on what your locality requires.
Reply to
SQLit

In copper, the range feed would be #8 for 40a, or #6 for 50a.

In aluminum, #6 for 40a and #4 for 50a.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

#6 copper cable for a 50A circuit, so that would probably be #4 aluminum. You can easily go up to 60A and *maybe* even 70A with #6 individual copper wires in conduit.

The existing wires could be tinned copper. My dryer was on a 45A circuit with a range outlet when I moved into my 50 y.o. house, and it had silver-colored #8 copper cable with rubber and cloth covered hot wires. I think it was old type SE service entrance cable.

#8 copper NM-B cable with a 40A breaker is really common for electric ranges.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Checked the range, it requires a 50 amp 240v circuit according to tag I went to a local Electrical supply house and was told that I could use 6/3 Aluminum SEU cable without a problem, does this sound ok or should I go for 4/3??? (I noticed that most of the 4 prong range

50 amp receptacles are only rated for 6/3 AL/Cu connections)

Reply to
Fred Leiter

I was surprised to see that #6 aluminum SER is adequate for 50A (Table

310-16). I thought you'd need #4 or #3.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Me too. Benefit of aluminum - it's lighter. Drawback - it's thicker and...

when you sell the buyer's inspector might point out the use of aluminum wire without adding that it's perfectly acceptable for use in high-load single circuit applications. They love pulling that stunt.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here