untreated pergola needs quick save!

My ex-husband built a large pergola over our patio with untreated (pine?) wood. He was about to finish it and then we divorced. I got the house, so he refused to help or share his plan. 2 years later, the wood is that gray color (I think mildew?) and is splitting just a little at the edges. I see a couple boards have black spots on them and I've sanded down into them and it's definitely rotten in just those areas. I was thinkig of using an outdoor mold & mildew solution to clear it off so I can treat the wood with a weather proof sealer. I'll cut out the rotten parts and use wood filler. I'd like to stain it but don't know if paint would give better protection. How would you do this from start to finish? I'm in a humid, sometimes rainy climate (Nashville) so it's hard to find a few days in a row without rain to dry it out. Thanks!
On 05/09/2019 11:44, tallgrl230 wrote:

You've asked for help on a newsgroup called free.uk.diy.home.
The UK stands for United Kingdom.
Our weather may be damp, but this isn't like Nashville.
You'd be better off finding a local newsgroup - and accessing it in a better way than through that website. Look up usenet on google. Usenet is free and has no adverts, unlike that website you are using.
Andy
I would paint it with Cuprinol Gardens Shades, it’s water based, co vers well, looks great and water based, I’ve used it on four sheds very successfully,
On 06/09/2019 13:03, snipped-for-privacy@cad-plan.co.uk wrote:

I wonder if you can buy it in Nashville Tennessee?
Andy