Sanding my door question

My front door used to have a nice varnish finish which was, in a moment of madness, painted white. Then over a number of years was covered in several more layers of the same gloss paint. I'd like to return it to its nice varnish finish. Any ideas of wether I should paint stripper it down to the bare wood or mayve just sand it down to the varnish. I've not had to do anyhting like this before so I'd like to get it started he right way. Taking the door to have it dipped in paint stripper is not an option.

Reply to
michaelG

If I had to do it--I'd use a heatgun and get as much off as I could then sand it down to see what I had left. Then I would decide what the new finish would be. Good luck!!!

Reply to
JimP

I think you're onto a non-starter if you decide to sand down to just the varnish. It'll be very difficult to achieve it accurately. Better to assume you'll get to the wood and then start again. Even if you did get to the varnish, it would have a sanded surface and would need re-varnishing.

Use paint stripper or aheat gun and get the paint off and start again, I reckon.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

My brother took his front door to a stripper, just make sure it all gets done in a day, someone stays at home to guard the hole and have a sheet of boarding available in case it all goes pear-shaped. Door looks really nice now.

Reply to
Ian_m

I'd be very wary of using a heat gun if you want to varnish it. The chances are you will end up with scorch marks if you're not incredibly careful. Use stripper, then sand and revarnish.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Gray

That would leave scorch marks, better off with paint stripper.

Reply to
marble

Ian is right. Taking it to a stripper is the best job. Comes up lovely. Cost is reasonable and saves all that horrible work.

ken

Reply to
Ken

Reply to