Supporting posts for deck?

I've got 4" posts to cut for deck support off the ground all ready and some postcrete. 12" square x 15" deep holes have also been dug with a concrete slab in the bottom of each.

Do I set the concrete at/above ground level sloping away from posts or do I set it below the ground and infill with soil after concrete has set (and to what depth)?

How high off the ground do I position the deck base frame (closer the better for my purposes)?

There seems to be lots of conflicting information about on the net so figured you guys would know!

Noman

Reply to
Noman

Heres a few pics of mine i did 2 years ago, i didnt even conrete the posts, just sledghammered some 3 by 3 short lengths about 16" long into the ground as far as they would go (chopped em off then) then coachbolted the base rails to them, its faultless, solid as a rock to walk on. Also put 3 or 4 of these on the cross rails every 2 feet or so so the middle of the deck wouldnt flex. let me know if you need any further help avice ill do what i can

before:

During:
After complete:

After 2 years:

rundmb

Our support posts have the concrete raised about 50mm above ground level, sloping away from the posts to ensure any water runs off and does not sit next to the wood.

As to height off the ground, ours is anywhere from 2' to 5' - but then we do live on the side of a hill!!

Don't forget to put some membrane under the deck to keep the weeds at bay - something like Plantex will do the job.

HTH

SalesGuy

Reply to
salesguy