Reliable and Flexible Corgi Plumber Wanted - Mid Herts

Andrew Gabriel ( snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If the people on that list are anything like the builders that Wickes recommended to next-door for building her Wickes conservatory, then I'd treat that list as useful pre-processing for the Yellow Pages.

Just go through the Yellow Pages and cross anybody off that appears on the Wickes list.

Reply to
Adrian

Why would it be illegal if the BCO has been notified?

Reply to
PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Went to Wickes this morning, so checked this out. They do indeed have a list of suggested CORGIS in the relevant 'Good Ideas' leaflet, but that was several years old, and none of the firms mentioned was nearer than about 50 miles from me. I asked the manager about it, and he said they had no other lists.

Wickes are still selling their Halstead boilers - both condensing and non-condensing varieties, and there's a big sign saying 'must be installed by a CORGI'. So by implication they must only be selling direct to CORGI fitters - yeah, right!

David

Reply to
Lobster

This is a bit of a red herring IMHO. If you bought the boiler from a dealer as a consumer, then it is down to them to honour the warranty - not the manufacturer. The fact that the manufacturers often take on the warranty responsibility on behalf of the retailers is more of an inducement to the dealers than anything else. They may argue the toss, but so long as you can demonstrate that the boiler was installed as per the instructions it seems they would have a hard job arguing the case.

Reply to
John Rumm

Two things spring to mind: Choose a boiler where no setting up or testing of flue gasses is required (e.g. some of the Ideal wall hung boilers), or buy a gas analyser. The latter would probably cost less than getting a man in with one!

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , PM writes

Because, from the first of April this year, with a few exceptions, it has been illegal to fit a non-condensing boiler

Reply to
raden

OK, I thought you meant illegal because it was self-installed.

Reply to
PM

Get real. Nanny state? If I was buying house I would want all the services to current safety standards. If below then they upgrade before the sale. It prevents flash cowboys from operating. Other countries do it.

One recent poster has asked fro advice on combi that doesn't actually work after buying a house. He was ripped off, it should have been checked out and operational.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

"It should have been checked out"? - no, the buyer should have had it checked out if she had concerns - caveat emptor and all that. It's a PITA for the buyer, but I'm quite sure she will paperwork stating that 'the CH system has not been checked and the prospective purchaser should satisfy themselves it is working before exchanging contracts' or something, - she's gambled apparently unsuccessfully on saving a few quid by not having the check done.

If *I* was buying a house I would certainly want to commission my own inspections of whatever services etc I was concerned about - do you really think it's OK to rely on a check commissioned by the vendor, who can commission 3 or 4 inspections and only produce the one which fails to spot the fundamental flaw which he doesn't *really* want the buyer to find out about? That's the fundamental problem with this 'buyer's pack' nonsense.

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Doctor Drivel writes

If you could afford it, of course ...

Of course, you would walk away and someone else would end up buying the house, you lost out

Reply to
raden

Maxie, what are you on about? You have been drinking ale again haven't you?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

There must be many thousands of houses on sale with older but perfectly safe installations.

If this is to be the case, rather than selling with everything untested, sounds like a nice little earner for some. But of course in a seller's market the cost will simply be passed on.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which excludes yours.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

What is the nice little earner is that in rented properties (25% of the housing stock?) there has to be a gas check *every year*.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Quite the reverse, IMHO. If services *had* to be upgraded before sale, the seller is likely to get the very cheapest job done simply for the certificate.

I'd prefer the reduction in purchase price that can often be negotiated in such properties and have the job done to my standards and how I want it - not just some basic level to sell.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)