Laminate flooring quality

Hi all, Any thoughts or advice on the makes of laminate flooring to avoid, and why ? or alternatively, which ones can be recommended ? We're talking about ripping up old carpeting the hall, and replacing it with laminate...

Thanks a million

Patrick in Newcastle

Reply to
pat

IMHO very light and very dark colours tend to look cheap. The red cherry effect at B+Q is a mid colour and looks warm. I put some in my hall and was so impressed I have now put it in other rooms.

Reply to
BeeJay

Having compared several types, my favourite is textured laminate branded either Westco or Homebase - it's the same stuff I think. This carries a

15-year domestic guarantee and is classed for heavy domestic or light commercial use. You do get what you pay for - the really cheap laminates have a shorter warranty and tend to look very artificial. The textured ones have a usual price of £25ish per pack, but I've always bought when on sale. I agree that mid colours are best - I have Cherry in my lounge (quite light) and it looks great, people always comment on it - at the moment Homebase have Chestnut on sale at £14.99 per pack £10 off. Used some in the dining room looks great - but a bit darker than I wanted. I have found the fibre-board underlay best for the feel and noise characteristics - the underlay used does make a difference. Good luck Graham
Reply to
GTS

remember that with all laminates, the finish that you see is in effect only a photograph laid on MDF or similar. Check the thickness of the "photograph", this is afterall the wearing coat. There are many very cheap laminates available, but they have very thin wearing coats. Take a look

D. A. Hicks