Reagarding Panel Pins when planing doors

In a previous post (now closed) it was said: "Plane in from each end towards the middle. Planing along and off the end will splinter the end. Watch out for panel pins in the door - nicked the blade of my power plane doing that(!)."

Question is:How to avoid those panel pins!!!???? Help, blade now nicked due to this !!! TIA

Reply to
eevoob

Most power planers have reverseable blades if this does happen ie they're sharpened on both sides.

If you need new blades you'll aquire them from here.

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Damn! forgot to say...

If you want to avoid nails whilst planing buy a cheap livewire/metal detector

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Thanks for the reply....

However, the question is: What do I do about them!! I need to plane the door below them!!??? So how do I do this ??

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Reply to
eevoob

When I went to buy some new blades for mine, I found I could get a complete new planer plus a spare set of blades for less than two sets of blades for mine. Why not buy a chuck-away planer every time you need new blades?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

What! you can buy a planer for £4.50?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

No, but when I was looking, the blades were over £10.

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

you use a pin punch and knock them in 3 or 4 mm now plane a few mm repeat as neccessary dont plane through the edging strip

breeze

Reply to
im