Question on artexing

I am doing a fairly extensive refurbishment of my father in laws house a mixture of DIY and tradesmen, it needs new kitchen / bathroom and new roof so the budget is going to be really tight and therefore will do what I can DIY. In the kitchen there are some patches of artex that have for whatever reason `flaked` off from the ceiling about 4 seperate sections all roughly about 1 foot square. I cant really afford to get the complete ceiling re artexed, is it possible to patch this with reasonable results? It doesnt have to be perfect I am reasonable at DIY. I am ok for papering/painting/tiling and some woodwork, so not a complete novice.

Any hints or advice would be helpful. thanks

If it's a rippled/stippled Artex finish you should be able to get a similar effect on the 4 separate flaked off areas by applying textured paint with a suitable roller. Polycell is one of the available brands:

If it's a swirled Artex pattern then matching that is a bit trickier.

Reply to
DIY

I managed to do a reasonably decent repair of water damaged Artex in my last place.

- Cleaned up "missing section" to remove any loose stuff.

- Applied diluted PVA

- I used ready mixed Artex supplied in a tub as an Artex patching pack.

- Applied and "stippled" to match rest using a cumpled poly bag

- Let go off and smoothed the stipples using a sponge.

- After a week painted and it blended in nicely.

Reply to
Ian_m

Thanks guys, I will give it a go.

If it is an oldish property the ceiling may have been whitewashed. If so this would account for the 'flaking off'. This would need priming before patching up.

mark

Reply to
Mark