Hello! Water cylinder question...

Well first of all, HELLO!

What a great to site to find as I've just started a major DIY projec in my first flat! I'm sure I'm going to be on here alot so please bea with me. I'm a total novice, but keen to (and not afraid to) 'get m hands dirty'!

I've got loads of questions to ask, but will start with the mos pressing...

My little flat was built in 1962 and still has mostly the origina fixings and decor (nice) so big job ahead of me. I have no gas at the moment - but may be able to get it installed i the next few years. The electricity is on that Economy 7 thing. Heating is currently supplied by nasty, nasty storage heaters..

*Anyone recommend new ones?*

The first thing I have done, to use the space more efficiently, i remove the header tank, hot water cylinder and unecessary pipework After a few (very wet) dramas, this is now complete! I am now left with a space of approx 600mmx600mm and height of 2370m to fit a new water cylinder. The plan was to get (forgive me if I get this wrong) an Economy direct combination cylinder. I haven't tested the mains pressure - but my finger remembers it bein quite good when it was all connected and I'm going down hill from th mains supply apparently. I will look into getting the gauge to do thi properly at the weekend. I plan to install one of these fancy steam shower/bath things... *An advice on this is also welcome!* From what I understand, they do not heat the water, instead rely on hot and cold water feed similar to a washing machine. I'm a girl. I have long hair that takes ages to rinse so those 2 fact mean I'm probably going to need a lot of hot water to be available Good water pressure is essential (to speed up the rinse process!) I have started reading some stuff about unvented/vented mains fed ho water systems and I think this might be beneficial, but really not tha sure... Is it a bit OTT for a simple system that is only really neede for providing me with a decent shower? Does it cost more to run? Is i compatible with the E7 system?

I thank you now for reading my incredibly long first post - I'm sure i won't be my last!

I'd be greatful of any ideas or advice from anyone that may have som knowledge/experience in this kinda thing...

Thank you again,

Loretta

-- Loretta

Reply to
Loretta

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 00:02:53 +0000 someone who may be Loretta wrote this:-

The pipes will be in imperial sizes. Joining these to metric sizes is easy in most of the sizes, but slightly more difficult at 22mm.

If you are intending to remain in the flat for some years it is worthwhile doing this and installing a wet heating system.

Probably not worthwhile for a few years until you get gas. It might be worthwhile if you can get some secondhand storage heaters, which are rather more slim than the ones you probably have.

A small flat is the sort of building where a combination boiler can make sense. That would free some of the space taken by the hot water cylinder.

If you intend to get gas then it is worthwhile getting an indirect one now. This can be used as it is and connected to the gas central heating when the time comes. If there is any possibility of using solar water heating or any other source then there is merit in getting one with a coil for that as well. You can get them made to your specific requirements as regards immersion heater bosses, location of connections and so on.

You might like to consider a thermal store. This heats water instantly and can be used with mains pressure cold water. One of the main advantages is that you avoid the annual inspection (100 pounds or so at the moment) that an unvented system involves.

Reply to
David Hansen

The message from David Hansen contains these words:

Though a good plumber's merchant will be able to supply adaptors.

Reply to
Guy King

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 10:59:09 GMT someone who may be Guy King wrote this:-

Indeed. Even large orange and white tin sheds can do this, which is why it is only slightly more difficult.

Reply to
David Hansen

Eh? This is Usenet...

Geo