Power requirements for air-con

Got it confirmed that it's a similar model to those I listed but couldn't find it on the Mitsubishi website. This is the beast.

I may well stick a separate feed in for it.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Midge.

Reply to
Midge

Interesting bits:

Fuse Rating (BS88) - HRC (A) 16 Starting Current (A) 27 Running Current (A) - Heating / Cooling 4.34 / 4.65

There's another 40W for the indoor unit, but I think that can be ignored...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Thanks Andy - it's looking like the starting current is a (very large) typo, and should be somewhere around 5-6 amps. This is line with other similar units on the Mitsubishi web site.

Midge.

Reply to
Midge

Starting current is very believable for an induction motor compressor. If mine tries to start with a locked rotor (as happens with compressors if they try starting too soon after they switched off and there's still a pressure differnce across them), it draws over 4kW (limit of my power meter), but not for long enough to blow the 13A fuse before it realises, and then it waits a bit before trying again.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The starting current figure isn't always shown on the specs I've found - but where it is, there is further evidence to support the 27A startup figure (much lower figure given by my air-con fitter over the phone) so looks like you're right Andrew.

The breaker currently fitted is a type B 16A and my understanding is that shouldn't trip with this sort of startup current (earlier thread suggested a type C may be needed). Any thoughts/experiences on that?

Out of curiosity, how does the startup current on a motor stack up against the rating of the cable? I think my single 2.5mm has a rating of 27A anyway (clipped, not in conduit) so isn't a problem - but what sort of peak current can a cable take above its continuous rating?

TIA Midge.

Reply to
Midge

My understanding is that the rating is mostly to control heating of the cable - which tends to be hidden away where you wouldn't see it.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ