Breaking Concrete Floors

Hi,

I am doing a steading / barn conversion and have about 300 m2 of concrete floor to take up and replace with a membrane underneath. The technique appears to be to use air tools to break up the floor.

I have seen mini-diggers with breaker points on them and am wondering whether this would be a better tool for the job?

Any insights?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
john

I wish I had had a mini-digger when doing a similar albeit smaller job. I used a conventional air tool and buggered my left elbow due to the vibrations. Cortisone did not cure the problem and I had to have surgery on the tendons.

Reply to
Emil Tiades

Sounds a good idea, although I have never used one.

What I have done is use the backhoe of a digger. Get it under an edge and just lift. Concrete, especially relatively thin, unreinforced, weak concrete gives very easily when under tension. That broke it into quite large pieces, which were dead easy to load and move.

That was a full-size machine (neighbour is a farmer). Worked a treat. Pouring a new floor took a lot, lot longer.

Whether a mini digger would cope would depend on your concrete.

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindrome