Metal grating door mat - help finding one

Not sure how to describe this. I want to create a walkway from backdoor to garage side door, about 18' and have in mind to buy a few metal grated mats(?) similar to those that used to be in doorways when entering shops.

Unable to find anything except fibreglass mouldings such as:

(fourth one down seems best) which are expensive and cannot be bought locally so increase costs with delivery charges.

Have tried garden centres and building supply firms without successs nor can I find anything by Googling aslthough this may be due to inaccurate terms - so far have tried "metal grating and grille" but nothing found to suite.

Can anyone confirm that this type of floor covering is still available and where?

Reasons for purchase are that the concreted area becomes slightly waterlogged and silted with debris from trees etc.

This grating should allow for mud free movement between house and garage and also act as foot scraper if necessary.

km

Reply to
km

Do you have any farmer's shops nearby? As in shops for farmers to buy, not to sell, things..

I only ask as the local town has such a shop which sells such things.

Personally, I find that the ABS plastic ones to be better. They don't rust.

Reply to
Palindrome

=================================== It sounds as if simple wooden 'duck boards' might be suitable unless you definitely need metal. They're easily made - this is the general idea:

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Try going here and click on the products page. Whether they'll do a small quantity to an individual is of course another matter.

Or you could check out the decking used on car transporter trucks. Get an accomplice to keep the driver talking for a while, and there you go.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I will check them out. Good idea. Thanks

km

Reply to
km

As the area can get wet there is a tendancy for surfaces to become slippy. Algae can make wood dangerous to walk on so have avoided that. The fibreglass surfaces made for this purpose have a roughened surface so are ideal but very expensive. Thanks for the input.

km

Reply to
km

They look suitable so will see whether I can get a quote. Having looked at similar sites I find that the companies do not/ or will not give names of local retailers. Ordering direct incurs large delivery costs.

Must admit that I wondered whether shops with these gratings would notice a customer picking it up and quickly departing the scene. There may be the chance of retrieving one from a demolition site but that is too long a shot. Have also considered scouring scrap metal sites but 'Elf&Safety makes that more awkward nowadays.

Thanks for the help.

km

Reply to
km

Just to let you know how I fared. Sent e-mail yesterday and received a reply today. The Company sells direct and uses no retail outlets. Minimum order is £500 and I assume delivery costs on top.

km

Reply to
km

I chatted to my local blacksmith about these gratings, after reading your post yesterday. He makes these up on a regular basis and did indeed have several in the shop - ready to be picked up and taken for galvanising.

I was surprised how cheap they are - even compared to shop-bought ones. But he said it only takes a few minutes to make one. Evan adding customisation (like house numbers - although possibly not needed by the OP) adds very little.

In addition to farmer's shops, it may be worth looking through yellow pages for local blacksmiths..

Reply to
Palindrome

That is worth following up as it is easy to make wrong assumptions that individually made items would inevitably be expensive.

km

Reply to
km