Home Insulation

As an old building maintenance foreman and many years of point-blank refusal, I have finally decided to have cavity-fill installed into my semi-detached house, along with some nice new loft insulation (bones getting older and relying more on the heating system to keep me warm now). :-)

I am considering using British Gas to do this.

If anyone has had this sort of work done by them, could you give me your honest opinions on them please - regarding the quality of the products, workmanship and attitude (I am well aware of their pricing structure and have no qualms about this as I am after quality and NOT lowest price [that is unless I can get both of course]).

Also, can anyone recommend an alternative insulation installer to British Gas within the South East Wales area who can give the quality of materials, workmanship and service that I require?

Many thanks

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Are you under the impression that British Gas will offer the best quality? My understanding is that British Gas will sub-contract the work to an approved insulation installer and receive 'commission' for doing so. I live in Kent and recently contacted the energy advice department of my local district council for details of insulation contractors currently offering the best discounts for cavity wall insulation.

Reply to
Stark Raving

Thanks for the reply,

I'm under no impressions at the moment, hence the posting.

I have had British Gas do work for me in the past and they did a good job for what they charged WITHOUT any aggravation when I have had to call them back for warranty work - in fact, they did far more than was required to rectify a problem that was partly caused by a poorly designed system - and I got a £35.00 rebate off the job as an existing customer as well!

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Only just caught up with group - in my experience British Gas were the most expensive for cavity insulation. Ours was installed by Instafibre at a total cost for 4 bed detached of 170GBP

were excellent the chap who did ours had been in insulation for many years. They also seem to have access to the best grants - hence the cost - ours was from London Electricity although we live in Surrey. One of the few 'improvements' I would recommend unreservedly.

PhilC

Reply to
PhilC

Thanks Phil,

I got both BG and SWALEC coming to give me a quote. At moment, they have given me the following estimates over the 'phone for a 3 bed Semi:

British Gas

Cavity Fill £175.00 Loft Insulation £220.00 (at the moment I have no effective loft insulation)

SWALEC

Cavity Fill £180.00 Loft Insulation £40.00 (this price is after a customer discount)

Both the above estimates seem reasonable to me for the cost of materials and labour.

As suggested by Stark Raving, both companies use sub-contractors for this work and these would appear to offer 25 year guarantees for the work done via independent insurance companies. It should be interesting when the reps call to see what they are actually offering!

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Brian, one word of caution, I had Scottish Gas upgrade the loft insulation in my bungalow, didn't have any issues with the sub contractors they used. However what they didn't advise me on was that I would require much more ventilation in the loft afterwards. See my post on "Mould in loft" ! It took just under a year for me to notice the results..........

regards,

David

Reply to
David

Thanks David,

I hadn't given that possibility a thought, (slightly embarrassed at that, because back in the mid nineties I was involved in a major property insulation program that also involved fitting soffit vents to ensure a good airflow in the attic).

All I have to do now is remember to tackle the reps about it! :-p

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Sorry David, I gave the wrong 'smiley' - ruddy fingers :-)

Reply to
Brian G