Dusty car

I have parking space at the side of my house wide enough to park and open the car door and three cars long. Plastic roofed carport above. On one side is the pebble dashed house wall. On the other a three foot concrete wall (I'm guessing the house builders put up shuttering and chucked in their builders rubble and concrete). The concrete base is breaking up a bit.

Cars parked there get dusty very quickly (particularly on the house side) while cars on the street don't so I'm assuming this is concrete dust.

Ignoring the fact I have to be careful how I wash this dust off, does anybody know if concrete dust just sitting on the car will damage the paintwork. My car paint does look very dull and I'm thinking of replacing the car and don't want the new one to go the same way.

Secondly does anybody have any ideas on treating the house wall with some kind of stabiliser. I guess on pebbledash this would have to be a bucket and soft broom jobby and would take quite a lot of stabiliser.

The next step would be to replace the base but obviously a fairly major job.

Excuse the long post. Regards

Reply to
Periproct

Not necessarily so! Dust can be 'sucked' into that space by the low pressure area of the wind creating a vaccum effect - the same effect that 'pulls' tiles and slates off roofs on the opposite side to where the wind is blowing as it passes over the roof.

The dull looking effect may be the dust acting as an abrasive when you wash the car - particularly if uou don't give it a thorough hosing down before you apply the soapy water - as for harming the car, it's unlikely.

Clear liquid silicone - give it a couple of coats and that 'may' solve the problem. Available from all good builders merchants.

Especially as you would have to demolish the 'concrete' wall first.

cash

Reply to
Cash

That's good news. I guess I was thinking of somethig like lime in the dust affecting the paint. I usually hose the car off first and then use a soft brush where the water feeds through the bristles.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

I'm curious as to why. If it was a Readymix delivery I'd reckon they could deliver over the wall with the chute. One day I'd planned to break up the concrete, dig out some earth, use the old concrete as hardcore and then call in readymix.

Reply to
Periproct