RCD trip on hotpoint washing machine

Folks,

Just to add to my list of jobs to do this weekend (sigh!) the washing machine decided to trip out the RCD on my distribution board mid-wash a short while ago.

Obviously a genuine fault as its reproduceable every time I plug the machine back in, but I noticed it doesn't trip the second the machine is plugged in as a hard cable fault might - it's more like 4-5 seconds after, during which there are the normal power/cycle indications.

Sticking my DMM across live and eth at the plug, I'm getting a reading which toggles between about 4K ohms and 1.4M ohms every second. Any ideas what might be at fault?

TIA Midge

Reply to
Midge

My first guess would be the motor brushes worn down.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

The changing in resistance that you observe is in my opinion a mains interference suppressor that includes a capacitor, hence the change in readings. The capacitor also serves to improve the power factor which an inductive load like a washing machine motor presents across the supply.

Reply to
BigGirlsBlouse

Thanks folks - I'll let you know what I find...!

Reply to
Midge

Well it's fixed but I confess it most certainly WASN'T what I was expecting!

Basically the connectors on the bottom of the control board were wet due to water getting across from the powder draw. I'd say bit of a design flaw and if I get a min, I'll post a link to some pics in case anyone else hits this problem. The machine is a WMA31 Aquarius.

Thanks again for the pointers.

Midge.

Reply to
Midge