Washing Machine Motor Tripping Mains RCD

Hi, I have a Hotpoint WM64 washing machine that has just started to trip the mains RCD.
I have found that if I disconnect the multi-plug from the motor, it does not trip the RCD.
If I just remove the earth lead from the motor (with the multi plug still connected) everything seems to work fine.
I believe that something is going to earth within the motor.
I have fitted new brushes and tried it without the speed detect device( at least I assume thats what it is) connected to the end of the spindle.
Can anybody confirm this? Is it a common fault? Would fitting a new motor cure this problem? Or would I be wiser to buy a new washing machine?
Many thanks
snipped-for-privacy@lastdrop.freeserve.co.uk
John Hill wrote:

How odd. So do I. Happened last week.

I haven't got that far...

I will watch this space with interest.

John Hill wrote:

Update, mine is a WM52. But behaving in the same way.

Mmm. we have been wandering around Curries etc (always a deperessng experiemce) and looking at new ones.
My gut feeling is a new motor is way less than the cost of a halfway decent machine. SWMBO reckons her sisters washing machine repairmen told her that 'Miele don't go wrong' but at 600 squids for a new un, I can afford to buy two and a half hotpoints...
It may be a case of suppression capacitors going short circuit if its fitted with em.
I haven't opened mine up yet - are there any such things on it?
Otherwise if its a winding-to-frame short, it's goodnight vienna for the motor, at least.

Otherwise if its a winding-to-frame short, it's goodnight vienna for the

Hotpoint motors are between about 43 and 50 quid (plus VAT) from CPC; free delivery. That's the 2004 catalogue which is due to be superseded any day now, but I don't think those prices will chnage a lot.
Others may be cheaper...but may charge delivery. My local shop probably wants about 80 quid - brushes were 13 quid last time I looked!
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Bob Eager wrote:

Thanks mate.
Even 80 squids is better than a new machine....
I think I will check hotpoint prices, and then remove motor and strip it to see what may be causing it.
My be something that can be bodged. This is the machine that still has its concrete block attached to the plastic drum with car body filler.
The older hotpoint in the back kitchen has had two door seals in 21 years and is still going strong...
Bob Eager wrote:

Latest update. Stripped the motor down a bit and one of the brushes had disintegrated.
Have a 7k armature to frame short on every segment of the rotor.
I think the bits of brush or summat have cause it to seize. maybe overheat and burn through the insulation.
I hope it hasn't taken any electronics with it. Otherwise its not worth spending 80 squids on a motor.
I'll phone around local shops...
80 quid is best price I can find on this motor - type no 904/1158/08

CPC do armatures too.
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Bob Eager wrote:

Too much hassle.
Im up for a new motor.
Tried to clean it up - no joy. Its a permanent semi-short and I have just today to fix it.
By the time I have faffed around and ordered new brushes and armature and and and I might as well get a replacement, drop it in and get drunk. :-)
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

End of story. New motor fitted at 59 squids (reconditioned actually) and its now busily doing whatever washing machines do.
Thanks guys.
Laser printer now dried out so that works, and the hone (SHE left the window open in a storm)
just the dishwasher and a petrol strimmer to go now really...
You're on the right tracks, carbon dust is the cause, cleaning it shoul
fix it, there is no way that harm could come to any other part. Th speed control is the only thing in connection but that just measure the voltage from the circular rev counter on the back and sends ac t the brushes in pulses depending upon the part of the program it's o and the voltage /speed information feed back.
If it can't be cured by cleaning it first check your main dru bearings, these are problematic on Hotpoints. Try to lift the inne drum up and down, there should be no apreciable play between it and th plastic outer. Also take the back off and check for signs of rus tracking down from the bearing on the back of the plastic outer drum Either of these indicate soon you will need to replace the bearings For an experienced hand that is just a 1hr job, but it would take a di who hasn't done it ever before 1/2 a day. Therefore factor this into th decision to renew the motor. For me it would be worth a new motor, fo you it may not be if drum bearings are on way out. Depends on you abilities with bearings, similar job to hub bearings on a car.
Paul Barke
-- Paul Barker

Thankyou for the prompt reply. I have had a look at the CPC website but could not find the complete motor for sale there. So I have emailed them to see if they can get one.
However they do stock the armature. Would replacing this do the trick, or could the short be in the outer winding?
John
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:34:15 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@lastdrop.freeserve.co.uk (John Hill) wrote:

I'd get the whole motor.
They only list a selection of the spares they actually hold - and they can get any other for a large number of appliances/makers. They suggest ringing them to get details of what they have, and delivery times.
There are more items in the paper catalogue - which I went and looked at to get the prices I mentioned.
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
John Hill wrote:

Mine was definitely the armature. You can test this by removing the push on clips going to the brushes and using a test meter (or indeed if brave plugging back the mains) to see if she trips with brushes disconnected.
I phoned up a local repair company, and asked them if they could supply motors. They put me onto a small shop that supplies the trade with spare motors, and he sold me recon/xchange one for 60 quid.
Having taken mine apart, its a lot easier to pay the extra and swap the unit I reckon.
Job completed now. Happy bunny has her washing machine back :-)

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I just checked that, and yes, with it connected there a 7k Live to earth and neutral to earth short, unplug and it goes away. at 240v that is 35mA leakage. Well my RCD is 100mA but it used to randomly trip anyway on 30mA so I reckon its taken total leakage up around 100mA allright.

I am going to serach online for new motor assy to get price.
But PC has run out of memory again and needs reboot.
Back later.

[snip]
Carbon dust from the brushes?
Around the nose of the brush holders and/or on the commutator connection points.
--
Tony Williams.

Tony Williams wrote:

Possibly - one brush is split in half. Its definitely from armature to frame even without brush holders inserted. .
Might try a new set of brushes if cleaning up the commutator area helps.
7k does seem odd. Too low for correct motor, too high for direct short...
Thanks. I'll swab it out with a solvent I think.
strung together this:

But after you've bought two and a half Hotpoints your SIL's Miele will still be going strong. Hotpoint are Indesit now, Indesits are a pile of poo, therefore so are the new Hotpoints.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Lurch wrote:

Yerrs. we had rather noticed that.
Still this one is probably now got another couple of years in it, so decisions postponed....
...just teh effin Hotpoint dishwahser to attack now.
Never did fix that. Still shows an unknown error code and sits there sulking...
I suppose a door dismantle is the first thing to get at the wires and see which one has fallen off this time...
strung together this:

I would, it's usually that or a blocked\dodgy pump.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Lurch wrote: