Chromed copper pipe to plain?

Can chromed copper tube be joined to plain copper tube using soldered joints?

I'm thinking of using it for the uprights to radiators to save painting.

Thanks

mark

Reply to
Mark

================================== You could use a tube expander like this to open up the end of the chromed tube:

You could then make a soldered joint but the chrome would probably be burned at the join.

These tube expanders are quite hard work but the finished joint is quite neat.

I've no experience of the particular company quoted in the link but I can't remember where I bought mine so a bit of 'googling' might be helpful.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

What about these? Also available in white from B&Q, Homebase etc. but I don't think I have seen chrome ones in the sheds.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Sand the chrome off where it goes into the soldered joint using fine sandpaper. Don't let sand get into the pipework.

The same applies for pushfit fittings and chrome -- sand the chrome off, or the pushfit fitting may not grip the pipe properly and come apart under pressure.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for the response guys. It was just a passing thought having spotted them as I was going through my Screwfix catalogue.

mark

Reply to
Mark

A local competitor i know has soldered bare copper to chrome copper on a job i`ve been called out to and its held for the last six months or so, but id not try it myself.

Richard

Reply to
fullflow plumbing