Bending skirting!

I have a wall in my bedroom that is not 'square', ie there is quite a curve in it. It's only about 2 foots worth of curve, but I'm wondering what to do as I want to replace it after I lay a wood floor? What's the secret to bending the skirting to fit? TIA matty

Reply to
matty

2' in how many feet?

The standard ways of bending wood is:

1) steam it in a steamer. 2) cut vertical sawcuts/router cuts at intervals - distance apart according to bend radius needed. These needn't go quite to the edge. 3) hold it for some time in approximately the right shape, using weights and blocks. 4) make it up with thinner strips, glued together. 5) use plastic skirting that will bend more easily.

There are others!

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Depends on the proportions of the skirting board!

You could just bend the moulded bit at the top, on a jig with some clamps, and steaming if necessary. (rip it off the skirting first)

Then make the board part from say three thicknesses laminated together with a good glue (Polyurethane if you know it and have worked with it before).

You can join the moulded part to the board part using dowels, and the same glue.

The above assumes a skirting of substantial depth. The toy ones in modern houses should goround a curve anyway.

And a bit of luck when bending wood!

John

Reply to
John

Never done this before but............ Having stored old bits of wood outdoors leaning against a wall they all eventually curve, so I would ....

Support the 2 ends on a couple of bricks to keep the wood off the ground, then place a brick in the middle to cause it to bend, in damp conditions itght do the trick although how long I dont know.

if piece of skirting quite short try the above while it is submerged in water.

Then again I am a cheapskate but I usually get there in the end.

Reply to
Scudo

Mine comes from boatbuilding practice! Ripping the top off a moulded board and replacing the field part with a laminated one, i have done before, admittedly never with a domestic skirting.

Trouble with leaving a board to the elements with weights on it is that you dont have much control of the curve produced. But you can laminate a wide board around some sort of jig, it doesnt need to be very clever, and then spring the top moulding round the same jig.

The other way to curve a wide board is to have it a bit less than finished thickness, saw kerf it, bend to required curvature, and the laminate a thin piece on to the kerfed side. This locks the curvature and seals the kerfs.

Reply to
John