Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

2nd rate achitect
Are you a washed -up or second rate architect? Southend-on-sea, Essex, England is crying out for you.

Some deconstruction
A vid of some tree clearing -
16
16

"Green" Construction
In terms of "green" home construction, where do you get the most bang for your buck in terms of energy efficiency? Pointers to any online resources would also be appreciated. Thanks.
71
71

winterizing house
We are planning on retiring to a small lake house located in the NYS Fingerlakes region in 2010. We will need to totally winterize the house for year round living and have no idea where to start.....
9
9

Insulation of Existing Cathedral Ceiling
The kitchen of my house has a Cathedral ceiling. The room is cold in the winter and hot in the summer. The house was built in the late 70s and I'm reasonably certain, there is little if any insulation...
3
3

Different CFL behaviors
Still in process of switching entire house and exterior to CFLs. Thus far, I've run into these behaviors on different 13W (40W resistance lighting equivalent advertised) CFLs. Lights in hallway and...
8
8

Need lights in my closets
You don't say anything about the house construction. If it's conventional construction and you can get at an attic space above the closets then installing real 120v lighting in closets is fairly...
14
14

Cathedral Ceiling
The kitchen of my house has a cathedral ceiling. The room is cold in the winter and hot in the summer. The house was built in the late 70s and I'm reasonably certain, there is little if any insulation...
14
14

help on neutral and ground 480 volt
i have a 40 year old panel with 3 hot wires. the panel is 480 volt with no neutral and ground. what do i have to do. can i run a neutral from another box?
4
4

Orangeburg pipe?
I have made an offer on a home and had inspections. It passes reasonably on everything and I want the home. However, although the septic inspector passed the system, my understanding is that it would...
10
10

Radiant Floor Heating Question (boiler vs water heater)
In a hydronic floor heat system, what is the best way to heat the water in the pex tubing? The initial study of the building design recommends a 16800 BTU 85% efficient boiler ($2000 US). I am hearing...
36
36

Header under a door question
I have to put a door in a wall midway between two floors. I know that the framing over a door or window is called a header. I know I'll have to build a "header" under the door in this case. Anyone...
10
10

concrete shower
------------------------------------- I have to make a concrete shower for a customer next tearing out an existing bath tub with shower surround, and putting in just a shower. Im sure im going to use...
6
6

Free Energy Audit Software
I have half a dozen free computer programs to help people save energy on my new website: Bar X Software are programs for all skill levels, from the homeowner to the experienced engineer. The novice...
3
3

Lumber Prices?
I own the lot free and clear, as I bought it as a no perk and got it to perk. I'm considering building myself a house since my business will probably be very slow for at least the next year. I assume...
1
1