Waste Pipe Code in NYC

Hello, I live in a 3 unit co-op that has a waste pipe on one side of the building that is 2 inches. Feeding that pipe are three dishwashers, three sinks and a washer/dryer. Can anyone tell me if this is in-code for NYC? How much can such a waste pipe handle? Thanks

Reply to
kirk.linden

Curious.

Has it backed up on you or are you just wanting to cause someone trouble?

Can we assume the dryer isn't contributing a whole lot to it?

Sounds dangerous to me. I would move out.

Reply to
Glenn

Reply to
Dave

One clothes washer requires a 2" waste line. NYC has its requirements and I don't have the specifics, but you're substantially undersized for the current code.

RicodJour

I don't know anything about the NYC code, but I have information on the [2000 IRC] and the {1997 UPC}. A 2" vertical drain is good for [10] or {16} drain units. A clothes washer counts as 2 units. A kitchen sink counts as 2 units. I don't believe that dishwashers are counted separatedly, since they drain through the kitchen sink trap. So my understanding is that under both the 2000 IRC and the 1997 UPC, the 2" vertical drain is adequate for the fixtures listed. Note that a 2" horizontal section is only good for [6] or {8} fixture units, so if the 2" drain does turn horizontally, it would violate the 2000 IRC but not the 1997 UPC.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

To confirm, do you guys believe that this means we're out of code? What are the most appliances/sinks a 2 inch waste pipe can handle? For the current set up, what size waste pipe would be required?

Reply to
kirk.linden

thanks for the info guys. much appreciated. Kirk

Reply to
kirk.linden

NYC plumbing code is based on the 2003 or 2006 (depending if the 2006 was adopted yet) International Plumbing Code (IPC).

In the IPC, domestic sinks with dishwashers are rated at 2 dfu each (1-1/2" trap arm & vertical portion increased to 2"), for a total of 6 dfu's, and domestic washing machine (2" trap arm) rated at 2 dfu (3 dfu for commercial). Your total connected load is 8 dfu.

A 2" drain can carry 6 dfu (drainage fixture unit) for a horizontial branch (3 if circuit-vented fixtures are connected), 6 dfu as a total discharge into a single branch interval, 10 dfu for a stack of 3 branch intervals or less, and 24 dfu for more than three branch intervals.

Therefore, you are ok for the vertical portion (stack), a little over for a horiz portion -if they all enter the stack at the same level-; or ok if there are two or more horizontal branches attached to the stack.

Reply to
Dennis