Plans

Below is a link to the plans. The 38' wide version is the one I would want to build but with 6x6 posts in two rows down the center every 8' I suspect it was designed to hold hay. I'd like to make a living space out of it and then evently a guest room when I build the house. A more open downstairs would be a lot better. I wonder if a structional engineer could work with me to change the plans a bit so I can get them thru my local building department. Anyone interested can email me with extimated cost. I have TurboCad and can do the drawings.

Thanks, RO

Reply to
RO

I am not a structural engineer but I see no problem in you draing the plan and handing it over to an engineer for evaluation and engineering requirements. I have built "Oregon" barns and very similiar to this plan and had no problems with standard construction and no engineering and that is in Calif. Now they may have "upped the annie" and require engineering now? I would build a standard 2 story footing, and also, the interior posts should be on a continuous bond beam footing. We built the rafters in a truss like fashion using plywood gussetts..... Also on the outside of the barn was built shed roofs off either side thus increasing parking and storage and more shear strength. Barns are a good space saver and do go up fairly well. Some dormer options also make the upstairs more useful. (that is a dormer on either side in the center.....shed dormer...... jloomis construction and concrete.....

Reply to
jloomis