Piling homes Colorado?

Curious to as if anyone here has constructed a house on piling in Colorado or if anyone could tell me what would be required. I am wondering what methods you use, or would use where the piling meets the ground. I guess I am assuming a wood piling here.

Where I am and work, we, on the beach, either dig or jet with water the holes at least half the piling length into the sand.

I have found that in most places of Colorado, Sonotubes are used to make a pad for a post to rest on for maybe a deck or a stair. What I have not found is an entire house constructed upon these. I have an interest in this type of construction to do away with a typical foundation or slab. Also, the underside could be used as storage/covered parking.

Any reply and info appreciated.

scott

Reply to
scotcox

In general, the use is in CO is to provide support for the low side(s)/point(s) in mountainside-type locations rather than for the raised height to avoid tide/storm surge in beachside construction. Can't do the water jet or dig easily in granite, either, which makes a big difference in how the construction itself proceeds.

Don't see anything to prevent doing whatever, but particularly for a year-round dwelling a raised dwelling will require additional attention to insulation, etc., for the cold climate. If at a high elevation and particularly on western slopes, unless fully enclose the area it may be nothing but a catchall for snow when the wind blows.

Reply to
dpb

I guess my whole intention would be to get rid of a basement foundation for one. Most likely the use for the underside area as a parking stall/storage/workshop, so it would be enclosed and nearly appear as a normal two story. One main difference in the front elevation would be the entryway on the upper part of the structure. Insulation expense is noted, and with a concrete board finish underside covering is new code here at least (for fire).

When used, are they generally on a pad of poured concrete? Or are they dug into the ground? Here the rule of thumb (apply in certain areas) is half in half out of the ground. What I know of in Colorado, for example, is that there are minimum depths for footings and foundations all based on geographic location and altitude. 8 feet being the min depth in a place such as Leadville. Would the same apply to a CCA post embedded into the ground? Would they allow a concrete pour around the piling? If you must use a concrete pad, I assume that this pad must be 8 feet deep as well to account for frost line?? Either way, what rules would apply if any about a slab poured underneath for parking and general ground cover?

Thanks for the replies, Scott

Reply to
scotcox

I suppose I may be in uncharted territory here.

All based upon local codes and ordinance I am sure. I assume that I can use sonotubes with a traditional foundation depth and place the pilings on top. I suppose that my only wonder is the spacing of the pilings now. Here the rule of thumb is 4 pilings per 100 square feet, 6 per 200 etc...

Thanks

Reply to
scotcox

Hire a local engineer and explain what you want to do. There are other considerations beside dealing with straight gravity loads.

Reply to
Bob Morrison