outdoor range cost

I have posted this question on over 100 forums wth all ending in dead ends. If this is not the right place to ask this question please forgive me but please let me know where I can get answers.

I have run into some extra cash and would like to build a personal outdoor shooting range and shoothouse on the 47 acers that my home sits on.

The range would have a back stop made of dirt 30-50 yrds long, 10ft high, 5ft thick and the same on the sides 100yrds long with pea gravel covering the entire shooting area. (30-50yrdsX100yrds) I would like a shed in the corner the keep all the range equiptment.

The shoothouse would be 1 floor with 6 small rooms. (living room, 3 bed rooms, 1 bath room, and 1 kitchen) The walls would be made of simple plywood and there would be no roof.

Can someone please please please tell me how much this could cost???????????

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Reply to
D. M.

No idea but use dirt not pea gravel for a back stop. You're asking for a ricochet.

Reply to
Glenn

the pea gravel would be on the ground, not in the back stop. Do you know were I can find the answer?

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Reply to
D. M.

Who were you going to get to build it? Ask them for an estimate perhaps.

Reply to
CWatters

I am not a gun guy, but there are several shows on TV that have shooting shows. Why not look them up, and ask them about it.??

Or go by a local range and ask them how there's was built.

Reply to
Bill

I am sure they can put you in touch with someone who can help you.

Reply to
crhras

really, a big factor is going to be where you get your dirt for the berm and how far they have to haul it. you're looking at a lot of fill--maybe a thousand yards? you need to call some local contractors to get an idea (maybe start with an excavator cause that's the number that's going to blow you out of the water.)

where i live, a garage with a concrete slab and plywood walls can run

15 to 20k. you don't need a roof, so maybe you can save 5k or so. this is a WAG.
Reply to
marson

what's the locale? Are you buying dirt or moving dirt?

bought dirt in SoCal is about $20 / yd (rough, high estimate)

If buying maybe you can get the local contractors to use your site as an excavation dirt dump.......free dirt :)

I'd figure about $50/ft^2 for the shoot house (just a WAG)

permiting? neighbors? let them know in advance, let them use it & have bbq

47 acres sounds like a big parcel but it's the shape that matters

~700' x 2850' or 1430 square?

shotguns? pistols? 7.62 x 39? .30 '06? BMG 50?

I would suggest you arrange it (if possbile) to shoot down hill; shoot house high, berm down hill

what happens to bullets that escpae the berm? Years ago the old OC Sheriff's range would occasionally pop bullets into the parking lot :)

did you try rec.guns?

buy youself a used bobcat (or front end loader / backhoe) & do it yourself (after you get the dirt for free) then sell the machine or keep it for maint'

If I help design it, can I come use it?

cheers Bob

Reply to
Bobk207

About 250 to 300,000 with no permits or inspections included. A lot of good info is available on the NRA website. They will help you design and help get bidders for the construction.

Ben

Reply to
Ben

Do you have any places where the grade changes enough to bury a large diameter concrete pipe? My grandfather built a 100-yard shooting tunnel underground this way -- sort of like a root cellar. The tunnel had a trolley and track for the targets that he could wheel back and forth to change targets.

Having the tunnel will help out with your neighbors. The sound will be attenuated by the covering soil. My grandfather's tunnel was right next to a high school and most people never even knew it was there.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

I hope you mean 5' thick at the top. I don't think you can keep dirt piled 10' high with a 5' base.

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

Reply to
Andy Asberry

The range would be designed for 22cal-7.62mm

The only reason I am whanting it so bug is or friends. So anyne that is not a dumb ass with firearms is welcome.

I live in Indiana (spencer) and the closes neighbor is about 2-3 miles away.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Reply to
D. M.

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou ben and everyone else. I have a price from a locale cotsruction group and ben was right Ihope to start with in 1 month

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Reply to
D. M.

OK, now it's your turn. Do you have to haul in dirt etc? How much? If there a shortage of targets can you use local politicians?

Reply to
Glenn