Is there any problem with having a narrower eave?

I'm re-roofing my garage and tore off the shingles and facia. Some of the eave support rafters have ends which are rotten half off and were not doing any support. Replacing the rafters would be a major project. Normally these eave rafters support 2 rows of 1x6 planks. I figured on simply trimming the rafters back and removing the first row of planks. This results in narrower eaves and uses less shingles. Is there any problem with having a narrower eave? It seems like a no brainer but I have to ask.

In Southern California

Reply to
new.ranger2

Shouldn't present any problems. Lots of houses have no overhang at the eaves to begin with.

-- Dennis

Reply to
DT

I wish I had a narrower Eve. Mine weighs around 190 and she's only 5'6" tall.

Reply to
crhras

Moves the dripline closer to the garage.

Decreases the shaded exterior wall area.

Decreases possible lift during high wind conditions.

May affect or eliminate any current eave venting by shortening overhang.

Nothing was said about the gable ends if they exist on your roof type. May be nonexistent if you have a hip roof.

Reply to
Jonny

The bigger the eave, the more shading you will get on the house at midday, which is passive cooling. Larger eaves usually gives the impression of "higher" quality construction.

You could sister extenstions to the original rafters

Reply to
P. Fritz

By what standard is this a quality asset?

A big overhang, like a big canopy tree close to the house, is an asset for shading. That is until a really stiff wind comes up. Either can badly damage the house if either come loose. Its a tradeoff, betting on lack of severe inclement weather for the life of the home. The odds are not in favor for most locations.

Reply to
Jonny

"crhras" wrote in news:GwDug.49744$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

lol!

Reply to
Al Bundy

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1153100106.144383.17370 @m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Why not just sister 2x's on and bring it back out to where it belongs?

Reply to
Al Bundy

Reply to
atufft