newel post attaching

I need to attach a hollow newel post to the floor. Any suggestions. Jeff

Reply to
<doccook

Since I can&#39;t see the instillation and give you specific details. You will have to fit everything together in a way that fits your needs. The general rule is:

  1. Attach the newel post to the stair stringer using lag screws. If necessary cut filler blocking to so that the screws can be tightened effectively without deforming the hollow post. Attach a few cleats to the newel post to support the tread. Cut the stair tread to fit around the installed newel post.

or

  1. Attach to the stair stringer using lag screws a small post sized to fit the interior of the hollow newel post. The support post should extend 12 -
24 inches above the finished stair tread level. Attach a few cleats to the newel post to support the tread. Attach the stair tread. Slip the newel post over the post. Attach the newel post to the support post with finish nails or plugged screws.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Need more details about your installation or proposed installation

If you have access to the area below the post base (basement, crawlspace)

a large diameter threaded rod can be fitted (glue wood member into hollow post such that the rod can be threaded into it) to the post

the threaded rod can be placed through the floor system & drawn tight with a nut against appropriately placed blocking.

this is how the end of the stair railing is secured in my 1930 home.but instead of a hollow nevel post there is an iron (steel?) post.

cheers Bob

Reply to
Bobk207