mini cabin needs heat

We are building a cabin, 24x17feet, on crawl space in a place that has heavy snow in the winter. Honestly, we probably won't go there in the winter because it is off the road too far to keep the road plowed. I want to heat it with a wood type stove and propane logs, but code requires we have some form of heat in the bedroom and bathroom. We were thinking some electric baseboard heat but are hearing how incredibly expensive it is to run. We would be using the heat in the spring and fall, probably a few times a year when there is snow. Everything will be winterized and shut down for the winter.

We have put the hot water heater in the crawl space, but don't feel it is big enough to go to the expense of a forced air furnace, also in the crawl space. The bedroom is really small, I made it big enough for walking space around a queen sized bed so we could have more space in the living room/kitchen area.

Looking for suggestions....

Thank you, Autumn

Reply to
Autumn

I must be missing something...If you are only putting heating in the bedroom because its required by code...why does it matter how much they cost to run? Just leave it switched off.

Reply to
CWatters

I recommend wall mounted electric heaters. We use the "Pic-a-Watt" models made by King Electric

to heat our entire house, one heater in each room. They work great, don't require any ductwork, and the temperature of each room can be set individually. Here in Washington state, most Lowes stores carry them (Cadet makes similar heaters and are often sold at Home Depot).

The wall heaters are nice because they don't take up a lot of wall space, and can heat up a room quickly (unlike baseboards). Just be sure not to mount them where you'll want to place furniture. Ours are all next to the doors where we'll be walking anyway.

In small rooms like bathrooms, or in situations like my in-laws house where there just wasn't any wall space, I mounted them above the doorways (over 9 foot ceilings). Not the ideal location, but they still heat the rooms nicely and there's no danger of piling anything in front of them.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Thank you I will look into these.

Reply to
Autumn

Could you just use the old style oil filed radiator heaters?

That way you have nothing to "install" and could move them around if needed?

Reply to
me